Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZQA alignment with NZ Immigration Officers on the assesment outcome

Default NZQA alignment with NZ Immigration Officers on the assesment outcome

Hi Janm, Chris and the rest,

Good day everyone! This forum has been very helpful for everyone, even myself and I am sure I have learned and gained many things and inputs to prepare myself to go through the SMC application and the documentations details. Today, I just want to share with the everyone here on what I went through yesterday and to get others input if someone come accross similar situation I am in now. As I was going through my ITA Letter, getting all my original documents to be certified copy by Notary public, I come accross the additional information required for NZQA as following:

Section 1
    Important Notice

You have claimed bonus points for qualification and work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage. These points are crucial for the outcome of your residence application. In addition to the documents specified in the checklist below, you must submit evidence that you meet the Long Term Skill Shortage List specifications for an ICT Business Analyst (which can be viewed at https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...appendices.pdf). With your residence application you must submit one of the following documents:
    1) International Qualification Assessment (IQA) from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority stating the comparable qualification on New Zealand Qualifications Framework; or
    2) A letter from the Institute of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ) certifying that your undergraduate qualification and any further learning meet the benchmark requirements towards Chartered Professional Engineer professional status in New Zealand; or
    3) NZ registration as a Chartered Professional Engineer or as an Engineering Technologist by the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand

It is important to be noted that if you choose to apply for an IQA, the outcome of the IQA should meet one of the following specified qualifications in order to qualify for bonus points in an area of absolute skills shortage. If the outcome does not meet one of the following required qualifications (for example if the IQA shows generic outcome
    Only - qualification is comparable to a Bachelor of Degree at Level 7), you must apply for either the Option 2) or 3) as stated above:

*the list of all the Bachelor of .... *

Section 2

New Zealand Qualifications Authority Assessment
    You are required to submit a full NZQA International Qualification Assessment ("IQA") of your qualification when you submit your application in order to be eligible for qualification and / or bonus points in an area of absolute skills shortage.
    Please note that to be awarded bonus points your IQA must be returned with a result stating that your qualification is comparable to a specific degree as stated below. If your IQA report only states that your qualification is comparable to "A qualification at level 7" or "A qualification at level 8" or your IQA report shows a qualification at level 7 but you do not hold IPENZ letter, this result does not meet the requirements of the LTSSL, and your application may not be successful.
    Your specific NZQA requirements are:
    Comparable qualification - One of the following qualifications:
    One of the following:

Section 3

NEW ZEALAND QUALIFICATIONS AUTHORITY QUALIFICATION COMPARABILITY ASSESSMENT REQUEST
    This request must be sent to the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) along with all the documents NZQA lists as required if you wish to have your overseas qualification assessed for
    comparability to a specific New Zealand qualification listed on the Long Term Skills Shortage List (LTSSL).
    Name:
    Date of birth:
    I am intending to apply for bonus points for having a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage.
    I would appreciate an assessment considering whether my qualification(s) is/are comparable to the qualification(s) specified on the current LTSSL under:
    ICT Business Analyst
    One of the following:

My comments:
    In Sept 2016, I did IQA Full assessment for my Bachelor Degree in Computer Science and the assessment outcome is Bachelor of Science degree at Level 7.
    Then I finished my Masters, graduated in Dec 2016 and again send IQA full assessment in Aug 2017 for my Master Degree and the outcome is A Bachelor's Degree at Level 7 and A Master Degree at Level 9. It is 2 different information's for my Bachelor Degree and I have email to NZQA Case Officer who evaluated on my IQA.

I did not had the patience so I pick the phone and call NZQA hotline at 3am, GMT +8 and managed to speak to the Officer who evaluated on my IQA and she told me it seems NZ Immigration Officers are not aware on the recent changes with NZQA assessment and the standard template\letter given instead clearly there is some miss-understanding. So, finally the officer told me once I have my Case Officer details and contact, she told me to give her details so they could speak and clarify on this matter. She also confirmed that based on my current IQA assessment outcome, I don't need to provide any additional information's stated in the ITA letter and the IQA letter provided by NZQA will enable me to entitle me for the bonus point as well.

My question is have anyone come across similar issue like me or only I am having this problem?

Kindly share and advice ..
    Last edited by Shubbie1979; 2nd November 2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Grammar mistake

Hi Shubbie1979,

I cannot get it clear on what is the exact problem you have? do you mean your 2 IQA results on the Bachelor degree are different?

I have a similar background as you, I am a Systems Analysis and I evaluated my Bachelor and Master degree in my last IQA, and I claimed LTSSL points too.

The most important is you must include the LTSSL assessment in your IQA application, it is a separate assessment that you need to specially request in your IQA application at the beginning. You must have the confirmation in IQA result, to confirm that you are qualified to claim LTSSL points

When you have the confirmation from NZQA for LTSSL, plus level 7 for your bachelor, then you should be fine for ITA to claim LTSSL points, no matter your Bachelor outcome is [Bachelor of Science] or [Bachelor's Degree]. You could send your IQA result photo copies to INZ by email to confirm is it ok to claim LTSSL points before your submit ITA.

An additional information for everyone, some INZ staff could easily get misunderstood when they see the words [Bachelor's Degree], they may think your IQA result is "generic" and ask you to get an "IPENZ letter" (point 2). For your case, you are not an engineer and would never go for IPENZ. (it happened on me before, one stupid INZ staff asked my to get IPENZ letter, I asked NZQA and then NZQA staff corrected INZ staff internally)

All you need is only the confirmation in IQA result to confirm that you are qualified to claim LTSSL points. As you mentioned NZQA staff already confirmed you are ok to claim LTSSL points, so I believe you already have what you needed.

Good luck to both of our SMC application.
    Last edited by kne; 2nd November 2017 at 09:25 PM.

Hi kne,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, my confusion is on the 2 different outcome on my Bachelor Degree qualifications plus with all the information's stated in the ITA Letter related to NZQA qualifications.

I only remember that in my recent IQA Assessment Outcome, I am not sure if the following comment is a confirmation related to LTSSL assessment:

"The Bachelor in Computer Science with Honors assessed above as comparable to Level 7 on the NZQF meets the credit and knowledge of a qualification listed under the occupation of ICT Business Analyst"

Is this what you have in your NZQA Assessment Outcome as well? or I should have more info in my IQA outcome?

Thank you

Cheers
    Shubbie
    Last edited by Shubbie1979; 2nd November 2017 at 09:46 PM.

Yes exactly, "The Bachelor in Computer Science with Honors assessed above as compared to Level 7 on the NZQF meets the credit and knowledge of a qualification listed under the occupation of ICT Business Analyst" is the confirmation from NZQA that your Bachelor is qualified to claim LTSSL bonus points for ICT Business Analyst.

I have the very similar wording in my IQA result too. I had sent email to both NZQA and INZ to confirm that this wording is the confirmation for you to claim LTSSL points for the mentioned occupation. You will be fine for your LTSSL points with this wording. [Bachelor of Science] or [Bachelor's Degree] should not be a problem for you case.

For me, at the beginning I have requested NZQA to do LTSSL assessment on both of my working experience "Analyst Programmer" and "Systems Analyst", and my IQA result mentioned I could claim LTSSL points for both occupations. For those who are going to do IQA with LTSSL assessment, if you have experience in multiple occupations, you could also request to evaluate them all.
    Last edited by kne; 2nd November 2017 at 10:19 PM.

There can be a difference between NZQA evaluations carried out at an interval of time. NZQA look at the content and depth of study of whatever foreign course you did, trying to match it up with a course running in any NZ institution at the time. If they find a match, that is when you get told a specific outcome, e.g. "a bachelor's degree in computer science". Supposing there was just one NZ course running that had just about the same content as your qualification, then when you applied again a few years later to have the same qualification assessed that NZ course had closed down or been altered, NZQA would no longer find a match, so you could then only be given a generic outcome, "a bachelor's degree (level 7)" - NZQA can see that your course was of the standard and quality of a bachelor's degree, but can't pinpoint one in NZ for comparison.

Thanks Janm and others for your valuable feedback.

You guys are providing lot of useful information and thanks for the details. Its very very clear.

Understand that we can provide multiple occupations and get it assessed by IQA so that it will be useful for us in future.

But one more point i noticed is that during EOI submission, we can select only one occupation per work experience and this case whats the best solution? I have done quite different roles in 2 companies and my major experience comes under different occupation listed in LTSSL.

Any pointers guys?

If you were to provide qualifications and prove work experience in two different skilled jobs, your application under SMC would take longer to process, because INZ would have to verify the doubled evidence. And you wouldn't get extra points.

Also, other people have found in the past that there is a tendency for INZ to doubt the ability of a person with qualifications/experience in multiple careers to be as good at one job as someone who has only done the one job... I know it doesn't make sense, but there it is.

One possibility would be to try to get a skilled job offer in NZ before putting in your EOI. You could perhaps take a recce trip as a visitor, and try to get interviewed. If offered a job, you could put in for a work visa, and EOI, at the same time. This way, the choice would automatically be made for you between your two possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you were to provide qualifications and prove work experience in two different skilled jobs, your application under SMC would take longer to process, because INZ would have to verify the doubled the evidence. And you wouldn't get extra points.

Because 2 jobs closely relates to my experience .

Also, other people have found in the past that there is a tendency for INZ to doubt the ability of a person with qualifications/experience in multiple careers to be as good at one job as someone who has only done the one job... I know it doesn't make sense, but there it is.

Completely understand, because i noticed few occupations listed are close to each other. Only few very differences in terms of scope of work.

One possibility would be to try to get a skilled job offer in NZ before putting in your EOI. You could perhaps take a recce trip as a visitor, and try to get interviewed. If offered a job, you could put in for a work visa, and EOI, at the same time. This way, the choice would automatically be made for you between your two possibilities.
    This would be really challenging, i have tried few options of applying linked-in and no responses at all.

Thanks once again.
    Last edited by vkambara; 27th February 2018 at 06:36 AM.

Please see this old post about the attitude of NZ employers to applications from overseas. https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread...952#post359952 It is even more the case now, now that INZ have tightened up the regulations on always trying to employ NZers first.

However, if you go to the country, having researched employers in your line of work, and really work at contacting as many as possible, and meeting the people responsible for hiring (not just the receptionist), getting a job offer CAN be done. See this other post. https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread...454#post567454

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast