Thread: CO's assessment letter-- need evidence for deducted point /offshore w/o job offer SMC

Unhappy CO's assessment letter-- need evidence for deducted point /offshore w/o job offer SMC

Hi All,

I got mail from CO on Nov. 1st but it's not a exciting news to me. My applied points was deducted and CO questioned about my work experiences. I lost 35 points.

Qualifications in Area of Absolute Skill Shortage 10 after assessment 0

Work Experience 30 after assessment 20

Work Experience in Area of Absolute Skill Shortage 15 after assessment 0

Just want post it and need your advise. please help me to face the challenge to persuade officer re-evaluate my evidence.

*Recognised qualification in area of absolute skill shortage

You claimed the following qualifications:
    * Master of Science in Polymeric Chemistry and Physics awarded by ** University in China in 2008
    * Bachelor of Engineering in Chemical Engineering and Technology awarded by ** University in China in 2003

You have claimed 10 bonus points for this qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage for the Occupation “Chemical Engineer”. It appears that your above qualification does not meet the specifications in an area of absolute skill shortage listed in Appendix 4 – Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) for the following reasons:

* None of your above qualification is an exact match of the LTSSL requirements. The IQA (International Qualification Assessment) from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority only states that your above qualifications have been assessed as comparable to a master’s degree at Level 9 and a bachelor’s degree at Level 7 on New Zealand Qualifications Framework, which does not state a specific degree to match the specified qualification in LTSSL – A Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (NZQF Level 8) - in order to qualify for bonus points in an area of absolute skills shortage ; and
    * None of your above qualifications is Washington Accord accredited; and
    * You have not submitted
    - A letter from the Institute of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ) certifying that your undergraduate qualification and any further learning meet the benchmark requirements towards Chartered Professional Engineer professional status in New Zealand; or
    - NZ registration as a Chartered Professional Engineer or as an Engineering Technologist by the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand
    Given the above reasons, we currently are not satisfied that you meet the LTSSL requirements therefore we have not awarded any bonus points for your qualifications at this stage according to SM16.20.
    I had already got IPENZ letter with Chartered professional engineer title. I think I can garuantee this 10 points.

Work Experience in area of absolute skill shortage

You have claimed 15 bonus points for your work experience of 6 years or more in LTSSL for the Occupation “Chemical Engineer”.
    Given the reasons explained above, it appears that your work experience does not meet the specifications in LTSSL. We are not currently satisfied that you meet the LTSSL requirements therefore we have not awarded any bonus points for your work experience in LTSSL at this stage according to SM13.20.

Here is my explaination--The IQA from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority states that my above qualifications have been assessed as comparable to a master’s degree at Level 9 and a bachelor’s degree at Level 7 on New Zealand Qualifications Framework, and IPENZ letter states my degree and further learning meet the benchmark requirements towards Chartered Professional Engineer professional status in New Zealand. These 2 points meet the specifications in LTSSL.
    Based on above points, I would claim 15 bonus points for my work experience of 6 years or more in LTSSL for the Occupation “Chemical Engineer”.

Work Experience as R&D Engineer at Evermax Eco
    You have claimed points for the following experience:
    * You had worked as R&D Engineer at Evermax Eco in Taiwan (based in China) from 1 July 2008 to 3 May 2010.

Your above work experience is neither undertaken in a comparable labour market to New Zealand’s labour market to be recognised nor being in a multinational company domiciled in a country of the comparable labour market. You have not claimed points for a current skilled employment or an offer of employment in New Zealand, and your work experience does not meet requirements for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage. Given the above reasons, we have not awarded points for your work experience as per SM11.10.

my explaination--Per SM11.10, item a(ii) - this work experience (Chemical Engineer) is relevant to my recognized qualifications below

- Bachelor of Engineering in Chemical Engineering and Technology
    - Master of Science in Polymeric Chemistry and Physics
    Item b(i) All though this work experience has not been gained in a comparable labour market, this work experience meet requirements set out at SM13.20 for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage by below reasons of
    - It was undertaken in an occupation included on the long term skill shortage list – Chemical Engineer
    - It meets the specifications for the Chemical Engineer with the evidence of my IQA evaluation report and IPENZ letter
    - I am suitable qualified by training and experience to undertaken the work listed in column 3 with the evidence of IQA report and IPENZ letter

*Volunteer Work Experience as Research Scientist at Northeast Forestry University

You have claimed points for the following experience:
    You had worked as Research Scientist (Volunteer) at Northeast Forestry University in China from 1 November 2006 to 30 June 2008.

Your above experience cannot be accepted as work experience according to Immigration Instructions SM11.1 and W2.2.1. SM11.1 provides that the aim of providing points for work experience is to recognised the importance of skills and experience gained through previous employment and Instruction W2.2.1 defines work as any activity undertaken for “gain or reward”. Hence, a “volunteer” does not expect to be rewarded and does not receive any reward for the work done therefore is not in an employment relationship.

my explaination--Per SM11.1, the skill and experience gained through this work experience as Research Scientist;

- Are readily transferable. yes. My work and research under my adviser’s project which related to study adhesive cohesion mechanism between different materials, most of skill and experience transferred smoothly and made effort into my work in Evermax and Polartec. This background are essential for textile coating and lamination process and new formulation designing of new adhesive.

- will enable me to obtain skilled employment in New Zealand. The skills and experience created a basic theoretic foundation of future career in New Zealand, at the same time, skills of operating different advanced testing equipment in lab will enhance the competitive ability to obtain skilled employment.

- will enhance my ability to contribute to New Zealand economically and socially. My research work are mainly focus on how to quantitatively identify physical and chemical bonding contribution of adhesive and improve adhesive cohesive strength. The research outcome enhance my knowledge base of adhesive performance and reduce the impact on the environment. As a result, I can make contribution to related market area and benefit the society of New Zealand.

Regarding to W2.2.1 defines work as any activity undertaken for ‘gain or reward’. My work as Research Scientist was rewarded. My advisor, Dr Zhao Shu paid me 400RMB per month for my work in her projects. She also covered my traveling expense to attend academic conferences, including registration fees, hotel, transportation, meals…….. And She also covered the expense for my trip to Jilin University for project relevant testing, including usage fee of test room and equipment, hotel, transportation, meals…

Right now, I only have IPENZ certificate as requested and a letter from my advisor's explaination letter to prove I got paid during the time as research scientist. nothing else can be submitted. it's really frustrating...

I don't think it's possible to PROVE the other points - it's a matter of arguing from the facts (as you have done), that you are entitled to them because you HAVE recognized qualifications.

Thank you JandM. whatever, I will not give up and grap the last chance to argue the facts I have.

Hi , can you update what happen to your story?

I claimed LTSSL also but NZQA letter said my Bachelor in not comparable as the shortage list. I only have 1 y 9 m experience for this degree. but my following experience and current job adding to my experience. Another thing hat making me hopeful is I have 5 years experience after that bachelor so the post 5 years experience suppose cover it up for me!

Hope you got a good news!

@andy1105928
    1. What is your IQA (International Qualification Assessment) outcome - Generic or Specific ? and what is the occupation name and code stated in your IPENZ letter ? Have you taken KA2 assessment ?
    2. Your work experience may be relevant to your qualification but not in the comparable labour market. So you are unlikely to claim points.
    3. Volunteering or dissertation work experience cannot be counted as full time job.

vitajaj, you are answering a post that is 11 months old. What happened to andy1105928 did so some time ago.