Thread: LTSSL work visa for Mechanical Engineer

Default LTSSL work visa for Mechanical Engineer

Hi

1)
    I don't understand the following LTSSL requirements for Mechanical Engineers - to have the qualification accepted you need to provide one of the following:

- A Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (NZQF Level 8)
    - A qualification at NZQF Level 7 or higher, with a letter from IPENZ certifying that the degree and any further learning meet the benchmark requirements towards Chartered Professional Engineer professional status in New Zealand

(see http://skillshortages.immigration.go...ical-engineer/ (pop-up behind the long term skill shortage list button))

I don't know the outcome of the IQA yet but what if I have an NZQF Level 9 - masters degree or level 8 but no Bachelor of Engineering with Honours but a post-graduate degree. Both are higher than level 7 so according to this logic I must get a letter from IPENZ??

2)
    the INZ page says that an Mech. Engineer needs to earn at least $23.49 per hour ($48,859 per year based on a 40 hour week)

> is that net or gross income?

Thanks for answering my questions!

The reason for the Level 7 requirement for LTSSL seems to be as follows. In some countries, it's possible to gain a higher degree where some small aspect of a subject would be studied in great depth, without first having a bachelor degree which would prove that the candidate has the breadth and grounding from the basics of the subject upwards. Such a higher degree would be given a Level 8 or 9, but would not PROVE (as a Level 7 would) that the candidate has broad general understanding. That's why, with the higher degrees, they want to know that IPENZ have checked the person out and found them suitable to register as an engineer.

I believe they mean gross income.

cheers, thank you very much

IQA came in: NZQF level 9 masters degree - So I need to contact IPENZ, right?

However now I got a whole new question:
    IPENZ's processing time is 4-8 weeks and I need to get back at my CO in one week...what will happen? Obviously I can't provide the IPENZ letter by then so will my work visa application be declined or put on hold?

Getting back to your CO in one week - is this because s/he has asked you for extra evidence? If you contact the CO and tell him/her that you are applying for a letter from IPENZ (copy to them what you send to IPENZ as proof), as long as that email reaches the CO before the deadline you have been given, you will normally be given the necessary time. (As long as an applicant tells the CO that they are doing something about providing what has been asked for, it is usually good enough.)

Yes, I need to provide extra evidence and I had my CO on the phone where he told me that it seems that I need that IPENZ letter. He was very helpful which is a relief since this all is very stressful.
    I will send that IPENZ email to INZ as well - great idea; I didn't think of that, JandM - thx