Thread: Having a WHV and entering the country, but NOT wanting to kickstart the visa.

Default Having a WHV and entering the country, but NOT wanting to kickstart the visa.

Hi! I have a question or two.

Let's say I apply for the WHV this year, got approved, but want to visit NZ for a road trip with some friends FIRST. I do not want this road trip to be counted as part of my WHV duration. I'd like to come home again, pack my bags, then leave on my WHV. My question is, will my visa be in effect once I enter the country after being approved, regardless of the reason?

Also, what are my options for extending my WHV into a residency/work visa? I'm currently residing in a country where I can be granted only 6 months of WHV, but I'd love to go down the residency route.

If you have a WHV, I THINK it will start regardless the next time you enter the country. I can't find any mention in the regulations at the moment - can anyone help with experience here?

When you are in New Zealand on a WHV, if you get the offer of a skilled job for which you are qualified, you can apply for any kind of temporary work visa for which you meet the regulations, and residence. (Most people get the work visa first, as it takes less time to process, so they can start sooner, and apply for residence at the same time or later, so it can be processed while they have already started in the job.) See the INZ website for details of the criteria for visas.

Can only hold one visa at a time... so enter here on a visit visa (or no visa, not sure of Singaporean's status here) on that road trip and apply for the WHV later on.

Quote Originally Posted by allune View Post
    Can only hold one visa at a time... so enter here on a visit visa (or no visa, not sure of Singaporean's status here) on that road trip and apply for the WHV later on.
    The problem is though that Singapore WHV has a quota of only 200, opens on 14 November and allows for a six month visa only.

Yes, you can only have one visa at a time, so if you have a WHV and enter, it will be activated.

@ChrisMwn Ah that's the problem I know Malaysians and Singaporeans apply for a visit visa anyway after their WHV because of their WHV duration... maybe follow them and go this path?