Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is JSV an open work visa?

Default Is JSV an open work visa?

Hi everyone,
    I want to know what kind of visa is a 'job search visa"? Is it an open work visa? OR one has to convert the JSV to work visa once he/she gets a job? I have a concern that employer would be reluctant to offer a job to a person on non-work sort of visa.

Kind Regards,
    Last edited by Muf; 11th November 2017 at 07:20 PM.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/66762.htm SM1.5, 7 and 8.

The SMC JSV itself is an open visa, meaning that the holder can take whatever they are offered, skilled or not, which will help them support themself in NZ while they are looking for a skilled job in the career that they have proved in their application for residence under SMC.

Being granted the JSV means that you have "deferred Residence" - your residence (and that of everyone on your application) is waiting for you. As soon as you show INZ your offer of a skilled job, and they check that it matches the requirements, https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/66785.htm, the visa labels for Residence are added to everyone's passports. (See below* for more.)

The sequence of events in most cases would be that the JSV holder offered a skilled job starts working straight away, takes or sends the paperwork to the nearest INZ office (NOT the one that originally dealt with your case when you were offshore, but check with the INZ office and fees finder https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...nd-fees-finder to see which one), works, covered by the JSV, while the INZ formalities are gone through, and receives his/her passport back with the Residence label in it when it is ready. Any partner and family still in their home country can take or send their passports to the INZ office covering where they are, and will get their Residence labels stuck in, with which they can travel to NZ.

*If the applicant has not worked in the skilled job for at least three months when they tell INZ about the job or offer, then their Residence visa label will have a Section 49(1) condition on it, that they must work in that job for three months. Having done that, still employed there, they go back to INZ with evidence of having met the condition (pay slips, financial and/or tax records), and they then get a Residence visa label with NO conditions. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/66848.htm SM11.5 a and b. (Any partner and family's visa labels will have the same conditions, that is, their situation is dependent on the main applicant's job until s/he has carried out the conditions, and will get an unconditional label when s/he does.)

Thanks a lot JandM for such a comprehensive answer.
    God bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/66762.htm SM1.5, 7 and 8.

The SMC JSV itself is an open visa, meaning that the holder can take whatever they are offered, skilled or not, which will help them support themself in NZ while they are looking for a skilled job in the career that they have proved in their application for residence under SMC.

Being granted the JSV means that you have "deferred Residence" - your residence (and that of everyone on your application) is waiting for you. As soon as you show INZ your offer of a skilled job, and they check that it matches the requirements, https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/66785.htm, the visa labels for Residence are added to everyone's passports. (See below* for more.)

The sequence of events in most cases would be that the JSV holder offered a skilled job starts working straight away, takes or sends the paperwork to the nearest INZ office (NOT the one that originally dealt with your case when you were offshore, but check with the INZ office and fees finder https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...nd-fees-finder to see which one), works, covered by the JSV, while the INZ formalities are gone through, and receives his/her passport back with the Residence label in it when it is ready. Any partner and family still in their home country can take or send their passports to the INZ office covering where they are, and will get their Residence labels stuck in, with which they can travel to NZ.

*If the applicant has not worked in the skilled job for at least three months when they tell INZ about the job or offer, then their Residence visa label will have a Section 49(1) condition on it, that they must work in that job for three months. Having done that, still employed there, they go back to INZ with evidence of having met the condition (pay slips, financial and/or tax records), and they then get a Residence visa label with NO conditions. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/66848.htm SM11.5 a and b. (Any partner and family's visa labels will have the same conditions, that is, their situation is dependent on the main applicant's job until s/he has carried out the conditions, and will get an unconditional label when s/he does.)
    JM, not so sure about the requirement need to work for 3 months, https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/66848.htm , as per a,b,c,d it did mentioned those condition is for those who wish to claim points for skill job outside the auckland region.

How about case like applying RV via offshore without job and being offered JSV? I dont claim points for skill employment? If not mistaken the JSV letter from INZ to me seems it did not mentioned anything about 3 months?
    Last edited by moonrider; 12th November 2017 at 10:02 PM.

moonrider, please look again at b. That is the situation I have been talking about. I think you missed seeing the 'not'.

Principal applicant who has current skilled employment for less than three months for which bonus points for employment outside the Auckland region have not been awarded
    The principal applicant must remain in that employment (or another position of employment that meets the requirements for current skilled employment including requirements for bonus points if the employment qualified for bonus points under SM6.40) for a period of at least 3 months.
    How about case like applying RV via offshore without job and being offered JSV? I dont claim points for skill employment? If not mistaken the JSV letter from INZ to me seems it did not mentioned anything about 3 months?
    If you get the JSV (which is the best offer you CAN get in that situation), then go to NZ to find yourself the offer of a skilled job, you will AT THAT TIME need to show INZ that you have skilled employment that is stable. This is nothing to do with claiming points. It is to stop the chance of an applicant showing an offer and telling INZ, 'Yes, I've got a skilled job,' then, as soon as they have the visa label, handing in their notice. Residence under SMC is only done on the basis that the visa (and all the advantages of being allowed to live in NZ) is a kind of swap for the applicant using their proven skills in the NZ employment market, for the benefit of the country. The authorities don't continue to track a migrant for years and years, but they do insist that the new resident proves they have done three months in a skilled job - this can be either BEFORE they ask to have their deferred residence, in which case the label will show no conditions, or AFTER they get it, in which case, as I explained above, they will have conditions that will be removed when they show they have fulfilled the requirement.

moonrider, please look again at b. That is the situation I have been talking about. I think you missed seeing the 'not'.

If you get the JSV (which is the best offer you CAN get in that situation), then go to NZ to find yourself the offer of a skilled job, you will AT THAT TIME need to show INZ that you have skilled employment that is stable. This is nothing to do with claiming points. It is to stop the chance of an applicant showing an offer and telling INZ, 'Yes, I've got a skilled job,' then, as soon as they have the visa label, handing in their notice. Residence under SMC is only done on the basis that the visa (and all the advantages of being allowed to live in NZ) is a kind of swap for the applicant using their proven skills in the NZ employment market, for the benefit of the country. The authorities don't continue to track a migrant for years and years, but they do insist that the new resident proves they have done three months in a skilled job - this can be either BEFORE they ask to have their deferred residence, in which case the label will show no conditions, or AFTER they get it, in which case, as I explained above, they will have conditions that will be removed when they show they have fulfilled the requirement.
    ah , "Not" Thanks JM

basically i think is better to inform INZ after 3 months working on the skill employment and submit with offer letter/ird/payslips? What your thought? what the benefit informing INZ early?

Yes, one less process to tell INZ after the three months, IF you get your skilled job soon enough in the nine months of the JSV. But another reason people don't wait is if they have family waiting and keen to join them.

Hi JandM.
    I have the similar question on JSV. You said JSV is an open visa. Is open visa similar to work visa? Sometimes, in the application form usually have work visa instead of open visa. Thank you

An 'open' visa is one kind of work visa. 'Open' means that the holder can take any job they are offered, skilled or not.

Most work visas are linked to ONE particular job for ONE employer. The most common kinds of open visa are those granted to the partner of a NZ resident or work-visa holder - so there's one skilled worker in the couple, and/but the partner can be there and work at anything - and the Skilled Migrant Category Job Search Visa, described above, which is granted for a limited time to let an overseas applicant try to get a skilled job offer.

Yes, one less process to tell INZ after the three months, IF you get your skilled job soon enough in the nine months of the JSV. But another reason people don't wait is if they have family waiting and keen to join them.
    Dependent Family can also travel and join NZ on JSV right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast