Thread: Passport to expire

Default Passport to expire

Hi all,

I hold an Armenian passport with a New Zealand residence visa, I need to re-new my passport before it expires and as there is no emabssy for Armenia in New Zealand I think the only way I could do it would be to travel back to Armenia and get a new passport there. However my old passport will be canceled with my New Zealand residence visa in it so I would not be able to get back to New Zealand unless after I got my new passport I then sent it to the NZ embassy in Moscow to get the visa transferred, however that would take to long and I would not be able to get that much time off work.

The only thing I could think of was to take my old and new passport with me and use the new passport to travel and show them the visa in my old passport to show that I am aloud into NZ. I rang immigration and asked if I could do that and they said it would not be possible, but I have herd of people doing it and I know its ok for the USA.

Does anyone have any experience on this? will the airlines and border control have a problem with me using a visa in my old passport as prof of right of entry?

Quote Originally Posted by David12345 View Post
    Hi all,

I hold an Armenian passport with a New Zealand residence visa, I need to re-new my passport before it expires and as there is no emabssy for Armenia in New Zealand I think the only way I could do it would be to travel back to Armenia and get a new passport there. However my old passport will be canceled with my New Zealand residence visa in it so I would not be able to get back to New Zealand unless after I got my new passport I then sent it to the NZ embassy in Moscow to get the visa transferred, however that would take to long and I would not be able to get that much time off work.

The only thing I could think of was to take my old and new passport with me and use the new passport to travel and show them the visa in my old passport to show that I am aloud into NZ. I rang immigration and asked if I could do that and they said it would not be possible, but I have herd of people doing it and I know its ok for the USA.

Does anyone have any experience on this? will the airlines and border control have a problem with me using a visa in my old passport as prof of right of entry?
    With Advanced Passenger Processing (APP) you must have a current visa label in your current passport. You wont be able to checkin for the flight if you haven't got the new label in the new passport.

With a new passport, you could apply for transfer of a Label, via any VAC, say in Moscow, or London or Singapore, while in Transit?

You may have heard of people doing it because it used to be possible, but as ChrisMwn said, not these days.

Thank you for your replies Chriss and J&M.

We are currently trying to find out if it is possible to have the passport renewed from New Zealand threw our nearest overseas embassy without leaving New Zealand. Fingers crossed! It must be possible I guess as if my passport expired while I was here I would have no way to get out of the country???

You can have your current passport legally extended at the nearest consular office (Jakarta). Or ask a family member to get you a Certificate of Return to the RA