Thread: Residency to PR Condition 184 days

Lightbulb Residency to PR Condition 184 days

Hi Experts,

I got my residency in march this year, Couple of months after that i went overseas for about 20 days and came back after that. Now Does this means i have to start 6 months period again from the beginning just because i left the country, or I simply have to complete 184 days in a year i.e travelling overseas not effecting anything.

Second question is Does my year starts from March to March (as per my residence visa) or its Jan-Dec ?

Any help would be appreciated.

JandM please give your thoughts on this.

Cheers,

i think you can split the 184 days up, no issues.
    Its total of 184 days out of 365 that counts.

I think second question is march to march as per start date of ur visa ?

Quote Originally Posted by andylubana View Post
    Hi Experts,

I got my residency in march this year, Couple of months after that i went overseas for about 20 days and came back after that. Now Does this means i have to start 6 months period again from the beginning just because i left the country, or I simply have to complete 184 days in a year i.e travelling overseas not effecting anything.

Second question is Does my year starts from March to March (as per my residence visa) or its Jan-Dec ?

Any help would be appreciated.

JandM please give your thoughts on this.

Cheers,
    The rule is "184 days in each of the two 12 month periods preceding the date of application (for PRV) ." It can be cumulative in each 12 month period (and does not need to be a continuos period) . The earliest you can apply would be March 2019.

RV2.5.1 Significant period of time spent in New Zealand

A principal applicant has demonstrated a commitment to New Zealand if they have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding the date their application for a permanent resident visa was made (ie, in each of the two 12-month portions, a period or periods that amount to 184 days or more).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    The rule is "184 days in each of the two 12 month periods preceding the date of application (for PRV) ." It can be cumulative in each 12 month period (and does not need to be a continuos period) . The earliest you can apply would be March 2019.

RV2.5.1 Significant period of time spent in New Zealand

A principal applicant has demonstrated a commitment to New Zealand if they have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding the date their application for a permanent resident visa was made (ie, in each of the two 12-month portions, a period or periods that amount to 184 days or more).
    Thanks for that guys

Would i be able to apply the Permanent Residence trom overseas once i have completed 184 days in second year and choose to leave the country for a little while.

Notice, whenever you apply for PR, INZ count BACKWARDS from the application, looking to see a total of 184 days in the 12 months before it, then again in the 12 months before that. You can apply from overseas, within certain time limits. The INZ website has the details. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Notice, whenever you apply for PR, INZ count BACKWARDS from the application, looking to see a total of 184 days in the 12 months before it, then again in the 12 months before that. You can apply from overseas, within certain time limits. The INZ website has the details. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident
    Thanks for your reply, sorry my english is not very good. So if i complete 184 days starting march 2018 till the sept 2018 and then leave the country, i have officially completed 184 days for the second year and can apply for pr from overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by andylubana View Post
    Thanks for your reply, sorry my english is not very good. So if i complete 184 days starting march 2018 till the sept 2018 and then leave the country, i have officially completed 184 days for the second year and can apply for pr from overseas?
    If you are offshore, then you must apply by May 2019, being within 3 months or your RV expiring.
    The two twelve month period are then counted BACKWARDS from date of application.

see Immigration Instructions as posted by JandM.

Hey guys!

I'm also applying for prv next March. My question is. Do I need to obtain police certificates from all countries where I lived before? I've done it for my residency and I have not lived elsewhere ever since.

See this fact sheet. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria As you will see from the criteria there, you only need to provide police certificates if INZ tell you (and they will normally only do that if you have been elsewhere than in NZ in the meantime).

Thank you JandM.
    I've only ever left for Australia for short trips (1-5 weeks). I guess then it's a good idea to get one while I'm staying there next time.