Thread: Talent Visa - Partner Queries

Default Talent Visa - Partner Queries

Hi there,

Looking at a Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa currently as I may have a job offer on the way from an approved employer. Other option is SMC.
    I'm not sure on the pathway for my wife to get her visa under the Talent Visa with me as the principle. It states that partners can't be included and that 'they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you.'
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa I'm not sure exactly what that means, I've read on another thread the applications are nearly wholly separate, save from a covering letter linking the two when sending them in and that's it. Is there a page that outlines more details on the Partner Specifics? I've seen options for both Workers and Visitors being an option (worker preferred!) But wondering more about language, or qualifications/skills requirements, or what jobs they would be able to do? My wife is a non native English speaker, so not sure if there is an IELTs threshold for this. I see there will be when it comes to PR later though.

I've seen this as a relevant link https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...k-visa-holders but it doesn't cover language requirements, or many details as far as I can see?

-oh one more thing, can this be applied for and visas changed whilst in NZ?
    I'd be changing from IEP to Talent, my wife from Visitor to 'Partner of a Worker Work Visa?'

Cheers!

You had the right link, but needed to go further to check CRITERIA. Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...lders#criteria is a fact sheet with the criteria set out. Hit SHOW ALL EVIDENCE to see what you have to supply.

If your wife is granted the partner-sponsored temporary work visa, she would be allowed to work at any job, skilled or not - it is what is known as an 'open' work visa. There are NO requirements about qualifications etc. - the only thing needing to be proved is her partnership (live-in relationship) with you, the person who has a skilled job offer. See old threads here https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=Q....0.i20WIyC5N5A for discussion and examples. We know from experience that INZ take applications seriously with around three months' good evidence.

Yes, you're right that it's a separate application which you need to link with the worker's application with a covering letter.

And yes, you can apply for other visas from within New Zealand, as long as you are legally there, covered by a valid visa.

Thanks for the reply.
    It all sounds pretty good!
    Just to check, when you mention three months you are referring to proof of living together for that time? I thought 12 was more normal, or is it a good solid three with 12 being better? We have been married for 7 great years, but have lived apart in that time but all legit and above board - just looks strange on paper! We'll have three solid months now though, and even more when application time comes around.
    I would have thought that 7 years (we've a 10+ year history even!) would negate the need to show tiny bits of proof from the last 3 months but there you go, I can respect their rules still.

Twelve months' evidence of living together is required for residence. No specific amount of time is mentioned in the regulations for the partner-sponsored work visa, but we know from experience that around three months' good evidence is taken seriously.

Partner-sponsored visas, since they ONLY require proof of the relationship, no job skills or qualifications, are the ones most often targeted by criminals paying people to lie to get them a visa, so they are always MOST carefully investigated by INZ. YOU know you are honest decent people with a real relationship, but they don't know you from Adam, so you are checked out to make sure you are not fraudsters. This will sound strange, but look at it from their side. A marriage certificate just means that two people turned up for a ceremony on that one day, not that they necessarily lived together ever, then or afterwards. People have engendered/borne a child without ever living together. Some evidence that a couple lived together last year or ten years ago doesn't mean they haven't broken up since. This is why INZ want evidence of a live-in relationship right now and recently. Use those old threads to make sure you have a solid profile. Keep copies of everything you send in, and keep collecting while your case is being processed, as INZ normally ask for more to cover the time of processing, just before the visa is issued (to make sure the relationship has not broken up in the meantime). Then, you are going to need evidence of this time again to put towards your NEXT visa, whether another temporary one, or residence, and that will probably not be processed by the same CO, so to be able to give copies of your copies and say "originals with my application of x date at INZ y branch" makes it much easier for the next CO to work your case, not having to go searching the records for all the details.

Thank you for the clarity, it makes sense.

Three months or 'enough' for a partner visa, then a full 12 months for residence. That's great.
    Cheers.