Thread: LIA professional conduct guidelines?

Default LIA professional conduct guidelines?

Hi,

So my application is undergoing processing for SMC. I have an LIA who is representing me.

Today, a month and a half after submitting my application, I asked him for an update for the first time. And he refused to provide that saying that he doesn't want to seem too pushy with INZ.

The only reason I had asked is because I wanted to give a heads up to my previous employer regarding a possible verification email because well, they are also busy with their current business and would be doing a favour to me by answering any INZ emails.

However my LIA's response seemed very curt and rude. All in all, he hasn't been great in answering any of my queries. I am wondering if this is acceptable or does this qualify as unprofessional behaviour on my LIA's part.

I definitely don't want to overreact so thought of getting a sense check with the forum members here.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by param912003; 28th November 2017 at 03:46 PM.

Param912003,

Funny enough I had the same impression of my LIA prior to today. However, in hindsight I now believe - after my update today - that the LIA is really acting in your best interest and is a lot more familiar with the process than we are. I got a sense that as we/you only have one application and therefore are on tenterhooks we want to know about every little bit of movement, whereas the LIA has numerous applications in play (nevermind previous representations) so is looking at it from a helicopter view, and will inform you when he/she has something substantive. Just my 5c.

Your LIA is right - it is NOT good to be pushy with INZ. Let them get on with their work, which doesn't include taking time from working everyone's cases to say, 'I haven't had replies from people I have asked for information, so your case is just waiting.' Think of all the time that would add up if they had to write that to all their hundred applicants each time any of them got twitchy - time that could be better spent processing someone's case another step nearer to completion and their visa. As COs don't (aren't allowed to) answer questions which are really only saying, 'I'm waiting - tell me something,' LIAs know not ask. The CO will be in contact on their own initiative if there is anything important to tell you, or if they need more information.

I agree with Jan M.
    Either you trust your Adviser or you don't. They are a professional with a code of professional conduct to uphold. Just like INZ officers, and having their own case load they too are likely to be frustrated by constant "are we there yet" questions.
    Hopefully they've explained the process at the beginning and indicated if there is any material change that requires your input, that they would be in contact.
    They are also in contact with INZ daily and have a good feel for how things are progressing (or not) and may even have dealt with the case officer previously and know how they work.

Trust their judgement I say.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 29th November 2017 at 07:43 AM.