Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety in NZ :: Was NZ like this before? shocked to see the news

Default Safety in NZ :: Was NZ like this before? shocked to see the news

Been reading certain in incidents like ( not sure if those incidents are targeted at a certain group )
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11949650

Shocked to see this. I thought such incidents are usual only in the USA..

My previous understanding was NZ is a very safe place to live and bring up children, family etc...

I wanted to understand if NZ was like this before... let us say 5 years ago.

This was a shocking incident, and it was on the front page of the Herald yesterday because of its seriousness. This was a robbery of a dairy (convenience store) and unfortunately, dairy robberies have been increasing recently. https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/op...es-on-the-rise

To answer your questions, yes things like this do happen here, not just in the USA.
    NZ is still a safe place to live and raise a family.
    There has always been crime here, just like anywhere else, it's not a new thing.

If you believe NZ is safe and everything is perfect... PLEASE DON'T COME!

NZ have their own issues and problems, equal or less than USA, AUSTRALIA, GERMANY, INDIA....

unfortunately this is very common... Economical issues are present in all countries. The cost of living is very high and many locals don't have enough money... Their main target? Cigarettes!

Many owners wants the police and the law to 'really' protect them and in many cases at the end nothing happens...

New Zealand isn't a magical land of no problems. Human nature is the same everywhere, so you have to expect that there are some criminals. However, there is a small population, so they are numerically fewer.

I also thought when I first came here that NZ is a reasonably safe place, however, it definitely is not. I myself have been almost assaulted on my way to work by a drunk racist bystander who tried to grab my backpack. I tried to get away from him but he was following me around. I shouted and raised my fist to hit him and he left. I called the police immediately to tell them what happened (thinking that another person nearby can get assaulted by this sicko) and they were indifferent and did nothing at all. I told my friends the next day and a kiwi colleague told me that it's good that I didn't actually hit him caused I could have been arrested for it. Really?? I could have been arrested for defending myself?

So it's true. While NZ has it's own problems like US, Australia, Canada etc.. BUT if something happens, actually happens- well you can't even defend yourself. So if you are thinking of coming here, think about this, or if you have already invested too much in getting here (like me) well just be aware of this and put up with it or until you break even with what you've spent and be able to move somewhere else.

An inept policing force, combined with weak laws to punish and prosecute makes it an ideal breading ground for these crimes to be committed, NZ doesn't have a castle doctrine so you may get arrested for defending yourself in your home or in your business.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...rkplace-survey
    Last edited by raleigh119; 30th November 2017 at 12:34 PM.

Your colleague is wrong in stating that you would not be allowed to defend yourself. This is the law. http://www.nzlii.org/nz/other/nzlc/pp/PP41/PP41-3_.html This is a simpler explanation of it. http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald...n-self-defence You might be arrested, along with the person attacking you, while the situation was investigated, but provided you act in a reasonable manner, you would not be held to blame for resisting being a victim.

Thank you everyone for your time replying. Definitely gives me an insight.

In fact:

all my savings have been spent for immigration. Even bought a car for partner who is working..........
    3 years of my efforts already done for immigration to NZ.........
    100s of hours of reading for information.....
    3 times traveled to this long distant land as part of the move .....
    Partner already moved to NZ and started working in NZ........
    Now there is no going back for me ( although I am temporarily out of NZ)........

I think the key take away now from here for us is to how to avoid being in to such situations, and become a victim.

I heard somewhere that 13 million Americans can carry guns with them. Most carry it with them. It is common in the US.
    Is there a gun culture in NZ? I hope not.

I am scared of guns mainly because you do not know where you get shot...
    Last edited by farfaraway; 1st December 2017 at 12:38 AM.

Was that on the road? while driving ?

Reminds me of the Australian movie "Wolf Creek"...

https://www.newzealand.com/sg/featur...th-and-safety/ ... talks about weather and other common dangers.

Quote Originally Posted by raleigh119 View Post
    I also thought when I first came here that NZ is a reasonably safe place, however, it definitely is not. I myself have been almost assaulted on my way to work by a drunk racist bystander who tried to grab my backpack. I tried to get away from him but he was following me around. I shouted and raised my fist to hit him and he left. I called the police immediately to tell them what happened (thinking that another person nearby can get assaulted by this sicko) and they were indifferent and did nothing at all. I told my friends the next day and a kiwi colleague told me that it's good that I didn't actually hit him caused I could have been arrested for it. Really?? I could have been arrested for defending myself?

So it's true. While NZ has it's own problems like US, Australia, Canada etc.. BUT if something happens, actually happens- well you can't even defend yourself. So if you are thinking of coming here, think about this, or if you have already invested too much in getting here (like me) well just be aware of this and put up with it or until you break even with what you've spent and be able to move somewhere else.

An inept policing force, combined with weak laws to punish and prosecute makes it an ideal breading ground for these crimes to be committed, NZ doesn't have a castle doctrine so you may get arrested for defending yourself in your home or in your business.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...rkplace-survey

I think that link is a very fair reflection of how to be sensible and safe in New Zealand. I am one of the older generation, I take reasonable precautions (as mentioned there), and I have never felt unsafe, either in NZ or at home in the UK.

I would add to what they say there, that some road travel in NZ takes you across long distances with hardly any centres of population, so if you had some problem or accident, it is quite possible that nobody would happen to find you quickly. For that reason, when you know you are going to cross an isolated part of the country, do what they say there for walking trips - make sure that somebody knows where you are going, and when you expect to arrive, so they can make enquiries in case you fail to arrive. Also, of course, if for some reason you change your plans, tell your back-up people that as well.

I've lived in New York, Vancouver, Sydney, and Auckland. Auckland is in many ways much safer than New York or Sydney and about as safe as Vancouver. There is binge drinking culture here I avoid areas on Friday and Saturday nights that attract the outer suburbans like K Road and most of Queen Street. There is also a fair bit of property crime.

But we don't share a land border with a mammoth country that has more firearms than people. So I feel much safer in NZ. Seriously. But no place is 100% safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast