Thread: Traveling to NZ to get residency stamp

Default Traveling to NZ to get residency stamp

Hi all,

Can anyone advise on whether it is possible to travel to NZ on visitor visa and then submit passports to receive residency stamp once onshore?

Regards

I think you would be making difficulties for yourself by trying this. When you arrive as a visa-waiver visitor, you have to fill in a card on the aeroplane as it approaches NZ, stating things like the purpose of your visit and your intended length of stay. The kind of answer you would have to give would not match with being a bona fide visitor. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...tity/bona-fide Remember, for INZ, a visitor's visa has a specific purpose - spending a limited time in New Zealand, with a definite intention to go back to a home in some other country. Also, as soon as your passports were scanned at the airport, the computer would come up with the fact that you each have an incomplete residence visa application in the works, which could look like an attempt to get round the system in some way. Any suspicion of fraud could at the least mean you spent a long uncomfortable time being interviewed. You could get turned back - put on the next plane out. The worst case, if they were convinced of attempted fraud, could result in the visas being revoked even before they were granted. I really recommend patience, and going through the proper channels.

Thanks for your polite reply JandM. I was enquirying as was trying to see if feasible to arrive for Xmas, however, in lieu of your guidance, I agree it is not worth the risk. Will have xmas.with family next year as a resident. Thanks again

I can imagine how you must be on pins now, waiting to get there - ! Have an "official" Christmas when you finally make it.

Absolutely agree with JandM, well said.
    The key word to always remember is "bona fide visitor"

thank you both!!!! An early merry xmas to you all.