Thread: what visa during SMC resident visa in processing?

Question what visa during SMC resident visa in processing?

I am an offshore applicant for SMC resident visa. My application was lodged (in old rules), CO was assigned and now waiting for the final phone interview, I think I would wait for several months or even more. I am so worried that my final result would go to the end of being granted a JSV. To reduce the risk from JSV, I am thinking about should I start searching for an offshore job offer now. (I understand that would be very difficult, very low chance to succeed, but trying have no cost on it expect time spent)

I have some questions here, in case if I get an offshore job offer, for my situation, what type of working visa should I apply for? should I apply Essential Skills Work Visa? Or Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa?

In this case, if I come to NZ and work for that offer, what would happen to my SMC resident application? Would it change to an onshore application that would not do an offshore phone interview? Consequently, would not be grant JSV at the end which only for offshore applicants?

Viewed as a whole, if I can get an offshore job offer before my SCM resident application result come out, is it a good choice to come to NZ and work on it? Is it positively affected my SCM resident application?

I would be grantful if someone can share their similar experience, and looking for esteemed replies from JandM and ChrisMwn. Thank you!

in case if I get an offshore job offer, for my situation, what type of working visa should I apply for? should I apply Essential Skills Work Visa? Or Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa?
    This would depend on whether the employer is accredited or not. Have a look at the INZ fact sheets which give the criteria. ANY temporary work visa would be sufficient to begin work in NZ while your residence application under SMC continues to be processed. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ills-work-visa
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...list-work-visa

The application itself would not change if you got a skilled job in NZ, but a different part of the regulations would apply to you. You would not need to be interviewed to judge your employability, because you would already be employed. The employer and your responsibilities would need to be checked out instead. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/66785.htm

It isn't easy to get a job offer from offshore. If you can do it, with a good employer, it is a good step. But if you can't, prepare well for the CO interview, and you still have a good chance of getting approval. However, the SMC JSV is already a good opportunity - it means you have the chance to job-hunt onshore, always an advantage with NZ employers.

Thank you JandM!!

JSV is a nightmare, especially for applicants who have family and children. Too risky with no guarantee. I'll try to search for a job offer, at least it may help to better perform in the final phone interview.