Thread: Partner-based resident visa application

Question Partner-based resident visa application

Hi everyone,

I'm an NZ resident since September 2016 and got married in February 2017 (married outside of NZ).

In February 2017, I also brought my wife to here in NZ under a work visa based on partnership.

We're blessed with a baby this month, our baby was born in Auckland and is a kiwi by birth.

My question is, to apply for a partner-based resident visa, we are required to prove that we've been living for a year.

Can we apply now as we definitely want to stay in NZ indefinitely with our new baby born as evidence?

Any input would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Correct me if I am wrong. Just try to help.
    Based on my research, my understanding is that the policy recently is more strict than before.
    Now, you have to live with your partner for one year before submitting your application. (You cannot submit it first and wait till you meet the criteria. Also, they do not care how long you have known or married her).

Hi Faith, thank you for jumping in, seems about right, same with my findings so far, therefore I look for advise here.

See here for the criteria (hit SHOW ALL EVIDENCE). https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria

Yes, you have to be able to prove a year's live-in relationship already at the time you apply. (This 12 months can include counting over again the time that you had to prove in order to get the partner-sponsored work visa.)

The fact that you have a baby together is only marginal, circumstantial evidence, as far as getting a visa is concerned. Since INZ base their definition of partnership ONLY on living together, and many people become parents (unintentionally) without ever living together, you will see that the existence of the child does not determine anything.

Thanks for your reply JandM, we'll just apply her RV when we have lived full one year in NZ then.