Thread: Interim Visas

Default Interim Visas

Hi,

My wife's partnership work visa expires in early May 2018, and I put her partnership residence application in the drop-box a week ago, and I was just wondering how the interim visas work.

I saw in some other threads about how the partnership residence visas seem to be taking a long time at the moment, and I am pretty certain I will have to put in an application for an interim work visa while the residence is still being processed, in order to keep my wife legally in the country.

My question is around the timeframe for this to be done.

At the Auckland Queen Street office, they just have a big drop box where everyone puts the applications, they don't seem to want people going to the counter, which I would have preferred to do.

I saw someone mention in another thread about how you can put the application in a few days before the current visa expires, but if I was to put it in the drop box, is that counted as the lodging date of the application, or does the application just sit in some mail area or something until it is picked up by a clerk? Last time I put the application in the drop-box on the Monday, my credit card was charged on the Thursday, this time, still nothing whatsoever, I guess it's just sitting in a pile somewhere....

Our last work visa took about a month from start to finish, just wondering when is the best time to lodge another work visa while the residence is still being processed, as won't the interim visa take some time before it is picked up too?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dan555 View Post
    Hi,

My wife's partnership work visa expires in early May 2018, and I put her partnership residence application in the drop-box a week ago, and I was just wondering how the interim visas work.

I saw in some other threads about how the partnership residence visas seem to be taking a long time at the moment, and I am pretty certain I will have to put in an application for an interim work visa while the residence is still being processed, in order to keep my wife legally in the country.

My question is around the timeframe for this to be done.

At the Auckland Queen Street office, they just have a big drop box where everyone puts the applications, they don't seem to want people going to the counter, which I would have preferred to do.

I saw someone mention in another thread about how you can put the application in a few days before the current visa expires, but if I was to put it in the drop box, is that counted as the lodging date of the application, or does the application just sit in some mail area or something until it is picked up by a clerk? Last time I put the application in the drop-box on the Monday, my credit card was charged on the Thursday, this time, still nothing whatsoever, I guess it's just sitting in a pile somewhere....

Our last work visa took about a month from start to finish, just wondering when is the best time to lodge another work visa while the residence is still being processed, as won't the interim visa take some time before it is picked up too?

Thanks.
    Any application you make to INZ, whether dropboxed or sent by courier would be date stamped the day it is received. It may not be receipted until some days later. Whats important is that INZ receive an application before the current temporary visa expires. INZ are slowly closing public and counters, so don't rely on being able to drop box it next year.

@dan....work visa now takes longer.....mine is almost 10weeks....still no news or anything.

Thanks for the replies, and hope you hear back about your visa soon Shirlee, seems like they are extremely busy at the moment, guess it's just that time of the year. We lodged the work visa in April and it was finished four weeks later.