Thread: Post Study Work Visa - What's Next?

Exclamation Post Study Work Visa - What's Next?

Hi I am in a situation where I need some visa advise since a lot of immigration advisers are asking for a fee for some advise.

I just got my postgraduate diploma in science and I am currently on a post-study work visa (open). I am having a hard time looking for work regarding my field and my visa expires on August 2018. Part of the condition of the post-study work visa (employers assisted) is that my work has to be related to field, even a little. But as I said it's been 4 months and I still dont have a job. I am currently dating a New Zealand citizen for 1 year and 5 months now and I am moving in with him on January 2018. By the time my visa expires, we would have been living together for 6-7 months (I want to apply early) and dating for 2 years.

Now my main question is, should I keep looking for a job related to my field (is there anybody hiring) and go through the post study work visa (employers assisted) route or should I take the chance and apply for the partnership based work visa even though we havent lived together for a year?

Thank you to whoever can help me.

See my reply on your other thread - you have misunderstood the criteria for a partner-sponsored work visa, so your case is perhaps more straightforward than you thought. Also, see these old threads https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=n....0.eymGvuQZBe4 for discussion and examples of evidence.

Thanks for replying.

Yes I checked and from what I have been seeing it always says living together for a year but now I checked the immigration website on partner of a new zealander work visa, their overview mentioned "If you’ve been living with your partner for a year or more, up to 2 years, otherwise up to a year" however, when I checked for more details under "check criteria" it didnt say that. Do you think I should take that route or keep trying to get a post-study work visa (employers assisted)?

The overview is talking about how long a work visa CAN BE ISSUED for, not what the criteria are for getting it.

For a partner-sponsored visa, ALL you have to prove is the partnership.

For a post-study work visa (employers assisted), you have to prove a job relevant to your qualifications.

To make the decision, ask yourself what can you do right now.

Oh okay now I understand. thank you so much! Without you, I would have been misunderstood the visas completely. I guess I do have to make a big decision.

Quote Originally Posted by lynzy05 View Post
    Oh okay now I understand. thank you so much! Without you, I would have been misunderstood the visas completely. I guess I do have to make a big decision.
    though you probably don't need to do anything until July 2018, a month or so before your current visa expires. You can then see which of the criterea you best meet, and which visa is then most advantageous before applying?

I guess you are all talking about 2019, right? Slightly confusing

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    I guess you are all talking about 2019, right? Slightly confusing
    nope, he says "I am having a hard time looking for work regarding my field and my visa expires on August 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    though you probably don't need to do anything until July 2018, a month or so before your current visa expires. You can then see which of the criterea you best meet, and which visa is then most advantageous before applying?
    Yes. I was thinking maybe late June. I dont really want to push it till the last minute in case something goes wrong. its just hard to choose so I guess I'll have to reassess my situation again when the time comes. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    nope, he says "I am having a hard time looking for work regarding my field and my visa expires on August 2018.
    Uups..., my mistake! Not sure how I got that idea!