Thread: Want to end a fixed term tenancy agreement early

Default Want to end a fixed term tenancy agreement early

Can someone please tell me what does highlighted part means in the photo of my tenancy agreement as i want to endthe fixed term tenancy early but my property manager saying i cant do this and the only option i have is to find more tenants for her. Please help explaining me what does this contract actually says coz i read it as i can give her 21 days notice whenever i want before the expiry of fixed term .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry, but you are not correct.

See here.https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/starting...-term-tenancy/
    The landlord or tenant can’t give notice to end a fixed-term tenancy early, so they both need to be very sure they want a fixed-term before they sign the tenancy agreement.

Tenants should also think carefully about who they choose to live with when signing a fixed-term tenancy agreement with other tenants. If they fall out with one of the other tenants, they may not be able to get out of the tenancy.

Ending a fixed-term early explains what options might be available if either party wants to end a fixed-term early.
    Then see here, referring to finding more tenants to fulfil the contract in place of you. https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/ending-a...ed-term-early/

You are reading it wrong. You have signed a fixed term agreement which obligates you until 6 December 2018. If you do not want to stay on after the fixed term ends, you need to give at least 21 days notice.

We had a fixed term tenancy that we wanted to break early. The property manager agreed to try and find a new tenant, but we would be obligated for the rent for the balance of the agreement if none was found. Thankfully one was found.

Quote Originally Posted by NZN View Post
    Can someone please tell me what does highlighted part means in the photo of my tenancy agreement as i want to endthe fixed term tenancy early but my property manager saying i cant do this and the only option i have is to find more tenants for her. Please help explaining me what does this contract actually says coz i read it as i can give her 21 days notice whenever i want before the expiry of fixed term .
    We recently broke off a fixed term agreement in Oct which was valid until Feb 2018. Landlord was not happy about it but they agreed to use the agency to find a new tenant for which we had to pay the letting fee. We also had to pay the rental until the new tenants took over which was a fortnight since we moved out. So you have to be ready to pay for the letting fee & rental until you get new tenants.