Thread: Commitment to New Zealand - Established base criteria

Default Commitment to New Zealand - Established base criteria

Hello,

My application for residence visa has recently been approved and I am planning to move to New Zealand by June 2018 with my family.

My question is related to the "Permanent Resident Visas - Commitment to New Zealand" section of the INZ website (link below).

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...to-new-zealand

There is a statement under Section 5 (You have established a base in New Zealand):

"Purchased a home 12 months before or after becoming a resident, still own that home and live there now, or"

Actually I am planning to buy the home before moving to New Zealand physically as that will be more convenient for our family. Can you please confirm if that would be all right as far as fulfilling the criteria of this statement is concerned? Or do I need to be present in New Zealand physically before purchasing the home?

My understanding is that it should be OK as the time window mentioned is 12 months “before or after” becoming a resident. So even if I would be considered to have “become a resident” after I physically arrive in New Zealand, I would still have fulfilled the criteria given the “12 months before” rule.

Kindly confirm / clarify.

Thanks,
    JM

I read that the same way you do - that buying as you intend would meet this criterion.

However, be aware that new legislation is being talked of which might not allow this purchase. The terms of it aren't clear yet, as there hasn't been an official announcement, only reports of discussion among politicians. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11962758

Also, notice the other ways of satisfying the "commitment to New Zealand" requirement for PR, mentioned on the page you linked to, which don't require house ownership, in case that proves to be impossible.

Thank you JandM for the response and for informing about the new legislation.. indeed it seems that the purchase might not be possible once it becomes official.

The new rules would not “ban” someone in your circumstances, but your purchase would need to be screened. For a residential sale, that would just take too long - most residential property deals conclude in a month here. You would has to make the purchase conditional on you getting OIO (Overseas Investment Office) approval. In a competitive market, that could make your offer unattractive.

If you did manage to buy, and then didn’t activate your visa, you would have to sell.

More than anything, I would strongly recommend NOT buying from offshore. I can’t over emphasise the need to do real due diligence on property here, and that’s best done on the ground. Some housing can be miserable, and that could affect your whole migration experience. I think renting for six months gives you a much better chance of finding the right long term home.

More than anything, I would strongly recommend NOT buying from offshore. I can’t over emphasise the need to do real due diligence on property here, and that’s best done on the ground. Some housing can be miserable, and that could affect your whole migration experience. I think renting for six months gives you a much better chance of finding the right long term home.
    I heartily agree with this opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee View Post
    I also agree. Besides, you really will have a much clearer idea about where you want to live and which home you wish to purchase once you've been here a few months. Sign a 6 month tenancy, give yourself 3 months to settle down in all other respects, then start your house hunting. Good luck!

Thank you RedVee and jawnbc for your kind suggestions !