Thread: First Home Buyers Steps? Christchurch Area

Question First Home Buyers Steps? Christchurch Area

Hi Everyone,

I am an immigrant, got my residency sorted. Now my next goal is to buy a house (New goal). I don't know where to start and what should i look, i mean whether to look aleardy built house or newly constructed house or etc. etc. Please give me some suggestions. Thanks

Wow, congratulations!! Sorry I don't have anything useful to contribute :-)

Tell us more about yourself (only don't go into too much detail on this public forum for your security), then people may be able to be more useful. Where do you need to get to for your work? What accommodation do you need/want in your house when you get it? Do you want some outside space for a garden, or would you prefer a town house with minimum outside maintenance to do? What about parking for your transport, plus storage possibly for a trailer, camper van or a boat, if you have or would like to have the kind of interests that need such things? How about your leisure activities? - would you like to live near to city life, or would you be happier to have easy access to the countryside or the shore?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Tell us more about yourself (only don't go into too much detail on this public forum for your security), then people may be able to be more useful. Where do you need to get to for your work? What accommodation do you need/want in your house when you get it? Do you want some outside space for a garden, or would you prefer a town house with minimum outside maintenance to do? What about parking for your transport, plus storage possibly for a trailer, camper van or a boat, if you have or would like to have the kind of interests that need such things? How about your leisure activities? - would you like to live near to city life, or would you be happier to have easy access to the countryside or the shore?
    Hi JandM, thanks for the reply. Well, I am in my early 30's working for hospitality industry as a manager. I particuarly like near to the city as I am living in country side and got fed up with that. So I think I would like to go back to city again. I am thinking 2 or 3 bedroom house with not a very big garden because personally, I really don't like to do gardening. I would prefer at least 2 cars parking spot inside, don't want any space for trailer or any boat. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    Wow, congratulations!! Sorry I don't have anything useful to contribute :-)
    No worries mate. All good.

Newly constructed houses seem like a really straight forward option - brand new, designed to your spec. However, often the opportunity for capital gains is lower because there is little you can do to add value, besides sit on it and hope house prices will go up. Buying an existing property with a bit of land (whether you like gardening or not) can be a smart choice because level land can gain value very quickly and you can always make improvements to the property.

I know investment side of things isn't for everyone, but some food for thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Snos View Post
    Newly constructed houses seem like a really straight forward option - brand new, designed to your spec. However, often the opportunity for capital gains is lower because there is little you can do to add value, besides sit on it and hope house prices will go up. Buying an existing property with a bit of land (whether you like gardening or not) can be a smart choice because level land can gain value very quickly and you can always make improvements to the property.

I know investment side of things isn't for everyone, but some food for thought!
    Thanks mate. Cheers