• Take time off work and job search on visitor visa

0 0%
  • Secure offer from overseas

3 37.50%
  • Something else, please elaborate

3 37.50%

Thread: SMC Job offer

Default SMC Job offer

If you are applying for SMC from overseas then the majority need a job offer to get enough points for EOI.

What is/was your strategy for trying to secure this.

Did you include your partner/family if travelling to NZ to job search.

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by osmyth; 7th January 2018 at 01:36 AM.

osmyth, INZ have changed the rules since the last time you were on the forum, so you may need to check out the details, in case you haven't looked in on INZ recently. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm

EVERYONE applying from overseas can only get Residence directly if they have the offer of a skilled job in NZ, and the definition of a skilled job is different now, too. (See the further links on that page.) Without a job offer, the applicant who otherwise checks out will be offered SMC JSV (permission for the main applicant to job-hunt in NZ for up to nine months, with the deferred residence which is waiting for the whole family being granted when s/he can show INZ the offer of a skilled job).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    osmyth, INZ have changed the rules since the last time you were on the forum, so you may need to check out the details, in case you haven't looked in on INZ recently. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm

EVERYONE applying from overseas can only get Residence directly if they have the offer of a skilled job in NZ, and the definition of a skilled job is different now, too. (See the further links on that page.) Without a job offer, the applicant who otherwise checks out will be offered SMC JSV (permission for the main applicant to job-hunt in NZ for up to nine months, with the deferred residence which is waiting for the whole family being granted when s/he can show INZ the offer of a skilled job).
    JandM, have not looked in detail at the changes but am roughly aware of them.

However, to get the points to get ITA then the majority need the job offer first?!
    i.e. the JSV only applies if you didn't need a job/offer to get the points in the first place?

i.e. the JSV only applies if you didn't need a job/offer to get the points in the first place?
    No. Under the new rules, you could have a zillion points because of your qualifications, but even so, if you haven't got a job offer, or a higher degree gained in NZ, the best you can get is SMC JSV.

JandM, what I'm trying to get at is the process and location of the job searching in order to gain enough points to get through EOI, I.e. Job offer is required, in my case, to gain 160+ points.
    This, I believe, is well before JSV.
    Last edited by osmyth; 7th January 2018 at 07:20 AM.

I secured a job from overseas. I was contacted by a recruiter and previous contacts In NZ. I lived there prior in 2011 so has gone smoothly. Last time I received an SMC and even with changes am still eligible, so it’s an option still for me. Now onto getting a visa! If that hadn’t occurred, I would have probably got some leads lined up in advance then travelled to country to meet people (not sure what visa that would be?)
    Last edited by KiwiChar2; 7th January 2018 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by osmyth View Post
    JandM, what I'm trying to get at is the process and location of the job searching in order to gain enough points to get through EOI, I.e. Job offer is required, in my case, to gain 160+ points.
    This, I believe, is well before JSV.
    Understood. But you will do well to look over the new regulations anyway, because there have been some quite significant changes.

My husband is the one who will be the basis of our SMC application (eventually), and for the present he has ongoing remote work. We are going over on a visitor's visa for our "look/see/decide" trip, WITHOUT quitting or taking leave from his job. We will stay less than 6 months in order to avoid inconvenient things like needing to get a chest xray right away, and getting taxed for working over 183 days in NZ (this applies even for remote work). If he is able to get interviews while we are over there, then great. At least we should be able to make some contacts, and see how it feels to be over there as a family for an extended period.

Juniper, thanks. Guess not having to quit work would be a big help.

JandM, yes will be looking at the rules in fine detail eventually.

KiwiChar2, the previous time did you secure the job from overseas or travel.

Thanks all.