Thread: Separation & obtaining a PR

Default Separation & obtaining a PR

Hi everyone,

I've seen other threads on a similar topic but I'm not quite sure they would apply in our case...

We obtained our Resident Visa from overseas in November 2015 as a family - I am the Principal Applicant, my partner and our son were also included. All 3 of us are foreigners. We arrived to NZ in January 2016 and unfortunately my partner and I separated shortly afterwards.
    Now has come the time for us to apply for a Permanent Resident Visa.

From the other threads, I guess that us separating should not be an issue for obtaining a Permanent Resident Visa - the principle being that we met the genuine relationship condition at the time when the visa was granted. Is that correct? Neither of us could have obtained the visa separately as our points added up to 140 (the minimum requirement at the time), so I feel a little nervous knowing that we no longer meet this condition if we had to prove it today. We now own separate properties and our addresses are different on all official paperwork so it would be quite obvious to INZ.

My ex and I still get along well though and we thought we'd fill in the paperwork together for ourselves and our son. We could indicate 'separated' as a status and 'ex-partner' as a relationship. Would that be an issue?

Thanks!

us separating should not be an issue for obtaining a Permanent Resident Visa - the principle being that we met the genuine relationship condition at the time when the visa was granted. Is that correct?
    Absolutely correct. You had to meet the conditions BEFORE residence was granted, but don't have to keep on meeting the same conditions afterwards. Your present situation will not be a problem at all. See here. Your partner does not HAVE to apply separately, but could if he wanted (though it would be more complicated). https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45650.htm

Thanks for your help JandM!