Thread: Still on my partner work visa despite relationship ending questions

Default Still on my partner work visa despite relationship ending questions

We broke up in August and there was some consideration after this that counselling might be an option and to try and make things work, however I opted not to go down this route and had moved out of his house. It was a hard time and I got scared about telling immigration of this change as thought that they would deport me or something and if I kept quiet that I could enjoy the last of my time, concentrate on me and save a bit of money and work out my plan forward for moving on and possibly travelling again.

My visa is valid until 7th July this year.

However, life has caught me by surprise again and I met someone, something I was clearly trying to avoid because of the impending visa doom and having to leave, not cause any hurt to anyone in the long run etc, but it has happened. I told him straight up that I cannot stay etc but it turns out he wants to stick whatever it takes, to the point if he had to leave the country with me for a while then he would and is already applying for a second job to save for that possibility.

For some reason I thought for the partner work visa you had to live together 12 months so it was never an option of something that could happen but obviously got that confused with the residency.

What do you think I should do about the current visa situation, because if I don't say anything then to immigration the time that we are together isn't going to count for anything, but if I do tell them, then what are my chances of being deported or not being able to continue on until July?

Just my personal suggestion, I think you should let INZ know that you have broken up with your partner. Let the consequences be whatever they are, but at least you won't be accused of fraud, which, by the way, is a deal breaker for INZ. Even if they ask you to leave the country, you can always reapply for another visa 3-4 months down the line (having lived with your current partner to accumulate enough proof for your relationship by that time), and hope to come back to NZ with some peace of mind and no burden of guilt or fear of being caught. Good luck!

You need to be truthful, as the previous poster says.

If you tell INZ that you have broken up with your previous partner, you will not be "deported", which is something that happens to people who are not co-operating with the authorities, and shows up as a black mark for all future visa applications to any country, but as you aren't any longer living in accordance with the terms of your present visa, you will probably be given a short amount of time to make your own arrangements to leave the country. Notice, you are ALREADY not covered by your present visa since the relationship has broken down and you have moved out, only that hasn't yet come to INZ's attention. If anyone else told INZ, you COULD be deported, and that would raise a big problem for your plans to live with your new partner in the future.

I thought that might be the general advice, just difficult when trying to save money to leave before I tell them and also working out my partner coming with me so soon after we started seeing each other as he does have a child in NZ that he would have to leave which I feel bad for as long as leaving his management job so there's a lot at stake and to weigh up :/

Thinking of other options once I told them and had to leave however long they gave me, say I travelled Asia for a month or two (possibly with or without him) would I be able to apply to NZ on a visitor visa for a few months or even a study visa in order to be able to come back to gain the additional required time together in NZ so he wouldn't have to leave/leave for such a long period of time?

Quote Originally Posted by elmiee View Post
    We broke up in August and there was some consideration after this that counselling might be an option and to try and make things work, however I opted not to go down this route and had moved out of his house. It was a hard time and I got scared about telling immigration of this change as thought that they would deport me or something and if I kept quiet that I could enjoy the last of my time, concentrate on me and save a bit of money and work out my plan forward for moving on and possibly travelling again.

My visa is valid until 7th July this year.

However, life has caught me by surprise again and I met someone, something I was clearly trying to avoid because of the impending visa doom and having to leave, not cause any hurt to anyone in the long run etc, but it has happened. I told him straight up that I cannot stay etc but it turns out he wants to stick whatever it takes, to the point if he had to leave the country with me for a while then he would and is already applying for a second job to save for that possibility.

For some reason I thought for the partner work visa you had to live together 12 months so it was never an option of something that could happen but obviously got that confused with the residency.

What do you think I should do about the current visa situation, because if I don't say anything then to immigration the time that we are together isn't going to count for anything, but if I do tell them, then what are my chances of being deported or not being able to continue on until July?
    You are obliged to advise INZ of a change of circumstances. But those circumstances include that your previous relationship ended, that you atempted to reconcile, and that you are now in a new relationship that you intend to endure