Thread: Partner based work visa

Default Partner based work visa

Hi All,

I have been together with my girlfriend for over 2 years now. She has been in NZ since early November on a 3 month visitor visa (sponsored by me) We were then going to apply for a 1 year partner based work visa. My immigration adviser told us that INZ will start to take a relationship seriously after we have lived together for 2-3 months. (although i know that 2-3 months doesn't guarantee a partner based visa).

My adviser has contacted me to say that due to recent INZ decisions over the last couple of months, it looks like INZ are looking for at least 4-5 months of living together now before they will consider a relationship to be 'genuine and stable' and has advised us that we should go for another 3 month visitor visa before we apply for a work visa to collect more evidence of partnership.

Does anyone else have any experience of partner visa's in the last 2-3 months and if so can you share the details of how long you have lived together (and whether your visa was successful or not).

My partner is a Thai citizen and i am Scottish with NZ residency (not permanent yet) and we got the visit visa after 3 days of applying for it.

Another 3 months of me being the only earner would be quite hard for us so i don't know whether to take my advisers advice or just go ahead and apply for a partner work visa.

We meet all other criteria for a partner based work visa.

Thanks in advance.

My adviser has contacted me to say that due to recent INZ decisions over the last couple of months, it looks like INZ are looking for at least 4-5 months of living together now before they will consider a relationship to be 'genuine and stable'
    Nothing of this kind has been posted on the forum in recent times. ChrisMwn, have you heard of anything like it?

Just thinking onto the keys here... INZ have already granted your partner a partner-sponsored visitor's visa, so they appear to accept that there is a relationship between you. You will have evidence of 2 -3 months' living together https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour....0.lIP6rHmcjl8 if you apply towards the end of the life of her visitor's visa (and you can leave it late, knowing that she will be issued with an interim visa to keep her legal while her application is being processed). There will then be a wait before her case begins to be processed, and time will also pass while the evidence is verified. All this time, you will continue to collect evidence that you are living together, knowing that INZ routinely ask for more evidence covering the time of processing just before issuing a visa. So when INZ are about ready to issue a visa, you will have 2 -3 months' evidence that you submitted with the application, plus another 1 - 2 months' evidence covering the time of processing, which comes to 4 - 5 months'-worth...

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Nothing of this kind has been posted on the forum in recent times. ChrisMwn, have you heard of anything like it?

Just thinking onto the keys here... INZ have already granted your partner a partner-sponsored visitor's visa, so they appear to accept that there is a relationship between you. You will have evidence of 2 -3 months' living together https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour....0.lIP6rHmcjl8 if you apply towards the end of the life of her visitor's visa (and you can leave it late, knowing that she will be issued with an interim visa to keep her legal while her application is being processed). There will then be a wait before her case begins to be processed, and time will also pass while the evidence is verified. All this time, you will continue to collect evidence that you are living together, knowing that INZ routinely ask for more evidence covering the time of processing just before issuing a visa. So when INZ are about ready to issue a visa, you will have 2 -3 months' evidence that you submitted with the application, plus another 1 - 2 months' evidence covering the time of processing, which comes to 4 - 5 months'-worth...
    There are no set rules as to the period of time that a couple need to be together before applying. I've certainly not seen any change to current practice, though that has always very much been on a case by case basis. J andM's note seems to contain a good idea about a possible timeline from here, and also that you already have a visa based on partnership, presumably issued offshore, so that you could live together in NZ. In my view , if anything that probably decreases the amount of time you need to be together before applying.

Thanks ChrisMwn

Hello,

I hope you all are doing well. We dropped our partnership based vusa application in Auckland office a week ago. Still no visa application has been deducted from our account. Is it normal?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SunAndMoon View Post
    Hello,

I hope you all are doing well. We dropped our partnership based vusa application in Auckland office a week ago. Still no visa application has been deducted from our account. Is it normal?

Thank you.
    For this time of year, yes. With the Christmas shutdown there's a backlog with a large number of applications sent pre and post Christmas during the close-down.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    For this time of year, yes. With the Christmas shutdown there's a backlog with a large number of applications sent pre and post Christmas during the close-down.
    Ok. Thank you so much and I am sorry about the Typos.