Thread: Another question on applying for residency

Default Another question on applying for residency

Hi again

Looking at the list of evidence I have to submitted with our application again, I think I've found a major roadblock....

The plan is that I'd like to submit the application on 1st March..... but we actually already have an overseas trip planned at the end of March. Obviously the decision on our application wouldn't be made within just a mere few weeks. So if we need to send our passports over, it wouldn't be an option and we need to delay the application submission until after we come back :-(

The INZ website says we need to send over "a current passport or certificate of identity" as a proof of your identity. "A current passport" implies an original, correct? Or just a certified copy of the photo page would also make a cut?

Still hope that there should be a good way out of this.... Would appreciate any comments.

I submitted my residence application few weeks ago. On ITA document, it was mentioned to send original passport with rest of the application but I sent 'certified copy of my passport (photo page)' to INZ and also explained to them that I have IELTS exam to take and I need my original passport on the exam day. All went well and had no issues. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyGreen View Post
    I submitted my residence application few weeks ago. On ITA document, it was mentioned to send original passport with rest of the application but I sent 'certified copy of my passport (photo page)' to INZ and also explained to them that I have IELTS exam to take and I need my original passport on the exam day. All went well and had no issues. Hope it helps.
    Hi DannyGreen. Thanks for sharing. With ITA, what you've got was a Job Search Visa, correct? That may be a little different. With the residence visa, they may really need the original passport to put a label on, I think.

Anyone applying for the residency through the work-to-resident route recently and got anything to share at all?

Thanks again.

INZ don't need to keep a passport throughout the processing for any visa. It is normally fine to send in a certified copy, as they only need the actual item at the very end of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    INZ don't need to keep a passport throughout the processing for any visa. It is normally fine to send in a certified copy, as they only need the actual item at the very end of the process.
    Thanks JandM. That sounds assuring :-)

@emktx
    I submitted SMC residence visa application from onshore and its still in process. as JandM mentioned certified copy will work and INZ need original passport at the very end of application if approved.