Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Residence Visa basics

Default Residence Visa basics

Hi all,

I would appreciate a concise summary of the basic premises of the residence visa. Not sure if there is another thread dedicated to this but I am reading many folk need to spend variable amounts of time outside if NZ while still on a residence visa. Please correct as required:

- 12 months to activate (if offshore).
    - 2 years travel restrictions. Multiple entry for 2 years then have to be remain in NZ therafter. In order to travel again applying for PR is required. (184 days/year for 2 years preceding application)

Thanks in advance

On your blue stickers, there is a date by which the visa MUST be activated (by being scanned at Immigration at the airport of arrival in NZ). If you don't arrive before that date, the visa will lapse. For someone with a job offer, another constraint on timing is when the employer requires the new employee to start working. For those who have not worked in NZ before, there will be a condition on their residence that they must start work within x time of arrival, and stay in that job for x amount of time, and these conditions must be kept to, or the residence will become invalid.

Scanning the visa and activating it automatically starts the clock on the two years' travel conditions (not "restrictions"). These aren't really conditions, but permission to travel out of NZ and back in again as often as you want.

After the travel conditions expire, you COULD leave the country, but would not have permission to re-enter. (While in NZ, residence is for ever.) At that point, you need to get PR in order to continue as before. The requirements are here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident The proof required of commitment to NZ (of which you have quoted only one possibility of the five) is here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...zealand/slider

Thanks Jan for the clarification. May I ask if as in my case I have a section 49 condition "of needing to take up offer of employment within 3 months of arrival, and work for employer for 12 months, and show within 5 years that these conditions have been met", are these 12 months with employer concurrent or can they be broken up in say 2 x 6 months periods with the employer, if for example I need to go abroad for another contract. So 6 months with employer, 6 months abroad, then return for another 6 months with employer. Additionally are you aware of any restrictions on working full time with employer but engage in ad hoc consulting/freelance work?

Thanks again for your time.

You will have to work for 12 months all of a piece for that same employer to fulfil the condition. (The part about "show within five years" isn't allowing extra time to fulfil the condition, but allows some leeway for catching up with the paperwork and getting the condition taken off your residence visa.)

As a Residence holder, you will be free to do other work in your spare time apart from your full-time employment.

Ok, great. Thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated.

JandM,

Also is it the Principal Applicant only who activates the visa when entering NZ or any visa holder. If for instance the family travels to NZ before the Principal Applicant who arrives at a later date, who will be deemed as activating it?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by NZ4US View Post
    JandM,

Also is it the Principal Applicant only who activates the visa when entering NZ or any visa holder. If for instance the family travels to NZ before the Principal Applicant who arrives at a later date, who will be deemed as activating it?

Thanks in advance
    each family member has their own residecne visa which they need to activate by making an arrival within the validity of that visa. However, it is only the principal applicant who needs to fulfill the conditions for the permanent resident visa. (i.e family members could leave NZ immediately after their arrival and dont need to spend any time here, unless specifically required by one of the PRV rules.)

Thanks Chris. So in essence if the non-principal applicants (Spouse and kids) enter NZ and remain (their residence visas are activated) and the principal applicant (me) does not enter NZ with them at that time, my residence visa is still inactive until such a time as to when I enter as well? I ask as I may need to spend additional 12 months outside of NZ fulfilling a contract but would like the family to go now to stay with family.

That is correct. YOU have to arrive in New Zealand before the 'valid until' date on the visa label, and get YOUR passport scanned at Immigration at the airport of arrival, in order to activate YOUR visa.

Again much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast