Thread: Did anyone look for work in Dunedin over the past year?

Default Did anyone look for work in Dunedin over the past year?

How did it go?
    Were you successful?
    Did you have to physically go there?
    In what fields did you look?
    Any feedback is appreciated...

Hi there, Having lived in Dunedin as a student, I know quite a lot about the city and jobs. Try student job search, trade me. You are unlikely to find very highly skilled roles here. Even if you do, most will be web-developer sort of things. Otherwise, there is also Dunedin hospital and Otago University that have highly skilled roles available. If you are looking for general part time jobs, retail, care-taking and hospitality are your best bets.
    You are likely to face stiff competition in these roles because the town is full of students, most of whom are always looking for part time work or already working somewhere. Many employers would prefer a face to face interview since people are quite fond of getting the right person for their businesses rather than just a perfect CV. Good luck!

P.S. I searched for a job for 4 months before getting a casual role. That went well for 6 months but then there was no work thereafter.

Thanks. I'd be looking for professional work in applied science management (eng consulting, operations, etc). Didn't see a whole lot of postings on LinkedIn but I'll check out the sites you recommended. Are there any other major industries Dunedin supports? With a large hospital and Uni it sounds like a government city. Would you stay in Dunedin long term or is it one of those places you go do your schooling, have that experience and leave?

I think Otago university and polytechnic will be your best bets. TradeMe and Student Job Search are generally for casual/part time or not very skilled roles. SEEK is the best job search portal in NZ, for skilled roles.
    I don't think Dunedin has that diverse an economy, especially when compared to big centers like Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. It is a lovely city with very warm and friendly people, but I am not sure if it is the best option for everyone career wise.
    If I could get a job in my field, I wouldn't mind staying on. Cost of living is very low since housing is quite cheap.
    But I would definitely leave the city in a heartbeat if another place was offering me a job that Dunedin (I know) possibly never can.

I lived in Dunedin for a bit and know many people who got degrees at Otago / Polytech and looked for jobs here.

1) You need residency. If you don't have it, pretty tough.
    2) Otago Uni has gone through a business review for the past 2 years. They have laid off tons of staff. They almost exclusively provide visa support for teaching staff (lecturers with PhDs), not other administrative staff. Folks who work at Otago say the business review has created a miserable environment to work in. Everyone is afraid of losing their jobs, entire departments have been closed. Some of humanities has been gutted. Just FYI.
    3) Seek has job postings. There are a number for management roles. Probably have to go to Dunedin and shake hands. It's a more conservative town.
    4) Casual jobs can be difficult to get. Folks looking for $14/hr have spent months trying to get a job.

I love Dunedin. Would have no qualms about living there. If you can get a job. Also, if you need it warm, Dunedin isn't a good place. But it rarely gets below freezing. (Not a big deal for those from countries where below freezing is normal in the winter.)