Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Options for retiring in NZ - Help Please

Thanks Smiler - so in answer to "can they go to Oz...." I guess the answer is no, not unless they stay there for 6 months...

So my next question is, must you return to the UK for 6 months, or, assuming Oz lets you stay there for 6 months at a time (?) could you go there instead of UK (not sure where this is going but interested to see if it's a viable choice, even if it will cost the earth as you would need accommodation for that time, albeit probably cheaper if you buy somewhere in Oz and rent out or the 6 mths you're away? )

*pause for breath*

I'm not sure why you would have to go to the UK, but A's parents go to have the summer. They have a mobile home (helen sorry, I forget what it is called) that they use because it is the UK summer. Also wouldn't you want to go somewhere you liked or had another summer or to stay with rellies for monetary reasons. I'm assuming a lot here aren't I. Oz seems as good a place as any to spend 6 months in and if NZ people wanted to visit it would be cheaper on the travel.

I'm guessing you could go anywhere that lets you stay with a 6 months visa, but surely there must be a rule about how many times you can go back somewhere.

I'm not sure where this is going, but I'm rambling now so I'll stop.

Deborah

You dont have to go back to the UK. You just need to be OUT OF NZ for 6 months - where you go is really up to you. Oz also has a 6 month in 12 limit - so if you chose to stay in OZ, then you also have to leave there in 6 months time. It is perfectly accepatble to bounce between the two countries if you wanted to (and its cheaper on flights!)

My parents were just more comfortable going back to the UK, but its simply a matter of choice. When booking flights - we have actually made the time my parents are in NZ 5 months and 3 weeks (its a "just in case" thing).

If it was me that was doing this - id be tempted to spend just under 6 months in NZ, just under 6 months in OZ, and 2 weeks "someplace else".

That way- you never risk outstaying your welcome. It has been known on the odd occasion for someone to miscalculate and "overstay" by a day - which does apparently tick off the immigration departments a bit, so its worth adding in a week or two for leeway.

As far as im aware - theres no limit on how many times you do this. As I said - its actually quite common (apparently) - though strangle enough ive not come accross people on the forums yet that do it.

Anyway - I hope that makes sence - its v v hot in here adn my brain is struggling to cope - so if it doesnt -yell at me and Ill try and do better

Hmmm, very interesting indeed..... sort of a visa nomad...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12