Thread: What happens when your visa is declined?

Default What happens when your visa is declined?

I have just applied for a new work visa and am a bit worried now that they're been more strict.

What actually happens when the visa is declined? How much time do you have to leave the country?

I am looking several times per day at flights to see how much that they cost and whether there are any flights available. There are never flights available to Europe on the same day, always two days later.

I just want to prepare myself for the worst case scenario.

I absolutely understand your anxiety. But you're being too pessimistic at the moment, I believe. Inz is not out there to get you or stop you from working in NZ at any cost. They in fact facilitate that if you meet the conditions they specify. And for a work visa, one of the most important aspects ( other than mandatory ones like health and character) is what kind of job you have. If it is a skilled role with salary according to the new range, you don't need to fear so much. Also, INZ can't send you a blanket rejection letter, they will first point the prejudicial information out to you and give you a chance to present your case and counter their concerns. Good luck!

If you find yourself in the worst-case situation, INZ don't expect you to leave as quickly as you are imagining - like, the same day. They allow you a little time to sort out your affairs.

Since you last wrote on the forum, has your work situation changed at all?

My work situation has not changed.

I already heard back from Immigration because I still have to give my translation of my homecountry's police check. I sent a PDF of the document to the translation company in Wellington on Friday and the original this weekend.

This is what Immigration said: "The requested information should be scanned into your online application within five days of the date of this email. If the requested information is not received by this office by the date given above, your application will be transferred to a processing office to be considered against Immigration Instructions on the basis of the information provided."

Fingers crossed.

You need to respond DEFINITELY WITHIN the time given, showing INZ the emails proving that you have sent the certificate for translation, and explaining that you will send it as soon as you can. In such a case, as long as you have shown that you are doing your best to provide what has been asked for, INZ usually grant some extra time without difficulty.