Thread: Partnership Residence Visa time limit?

Default Partnership Residence Visa time limit?

Hi everyone,

Two Q's...

My partner and I are in UK.

My partner hopes to get a partnership RV, does anyone know how long he has before he has to travel to NZ?

Also...I need to apply for a variation of travel conditions. I am currently in the UK. Do my travel conditions have to have expired before I apply?

Thanks for any help...I have checked out INZ many times, in fact so much so I don't trust that I'm getting the right info in my head...

Looking at this guide https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...es/inz1176.pdf, it looks to me as though if you apply before your travel conditions expire, you may be given a variation of travel conditions, but if you apply after your travel conditions expire, you may be given a second or subsequent residence visa.

In any case, E2 on the application form https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...es/inz1175.pdf allows you to leave it up to INZ to give you whichever thing you turn out to be eligible for, so if you tick that, it doesn't actually matter.

Can anyone help with the query about the partner-sponsored residence visa? - if it is issued, how long do you have before you must enter NZ?

I just got my Partnership-based residency visa yesterday after 5 months of waiting.

It lists a start date of a few days ago, and a "first entry before" date of a year from that date. So I have a year to enter NZ.

Below that it says "Visa valid for further travel for 24 months from first arrival. Initial stay subject to grant of entry permission. Visa is invalid if holder is outside NZ with expired travel conditions."

So once I enter NZ, the visa is valid for 2 more years. If I never left NZ I could stay forever, but after 2 years it expires, so if I left NZ and wanted to return I wouldn't be able to. After 2 years of living there I can apply for Permanent Residency, if you have that your travel conditions never expire. I guess I'd have a space of a few months where my residency visa expires and I can't leave NZ while I'm waiting for PR to be approved, but I can worry about that then.

I'm not sure if you're a NZ citizen/resident/whatever so I'm not sure if your visa would be 100% the same as mine, but that is what mine says. Mine is listed as "Resident Visa," rather than Partnership-Based Residency Visa, so maybe the terms are the same as long as your partner ends up with a Residency Visa.

I was just looking to see if there was any picture of a "generic" Resident Visa on google images, and they all have slightly different conditions listed, so I'm not sure if your visa would end up looking the same as mine. But I think the 1 year period to first enter NZ after the visa issuance should be standard, assuming you are getting a partnership-based resident visa, I know that is what it said on the INZ site when I was looking it up.

Thank you for all of that. It sounds as though this is all exactly the same as a Residence visa granted under SMC.

after 2 years it expires
    After two years, the travel conditions expire, not the visa itself. If you never left NZ, the residence visa would be everlasting.

Thanks guys...very helpful...

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Thank you for all of that. It sounds as though this is all exactly the same as a Residence visa granted under SMC.

After two years, the travel conditions expire, not the visa itself. If you never left NZ, the residence visa would be everlasting.
    Right, not the visa, the travel conditions. Sorry that was vague.