Thread: Bachelor of Business Administration with Informatics Job seeking

Lightbulb Bachelor of Business Administration with Informatics Job seeking

Hi everyone, I just got partnership visa for working in Jan and now start looking for the job in March. Although I have not moved to New Zealand ( specifically Auckland) but I think starting from now on will save time for me.

I would like to tell you guys a bit about my background so that it easier to give me some advice.

I graduated from Germany with Bachelor Business Administration with Informatics ( I have very strong knowledge in application of IT into business). I worked as teaching assistant in 3 years for many Profs in Business Mathematics, Marketing and Economics so I have very strong academic experience. After graduation, I worked for DHL Express in Customer Service for 3 months and then I stopped to move with my husband to New Zealand. I also have many scholarships from German governments which I think will not effect my application so much

I think that I will be consider as fresh graduate student, so which kind of jobs should I apply for ? ( with suitable with my major and not much experience )I applied and success in Sale assistant position but I do not like this job so much, it seems like I just stand and sell something in the store.

Also, I will arrive NZ in 15th of March, should I apply from now on? since I got rejection because they want me to work right now. If not, when should I start applying ?

Thank you so much for all supports from you guys, I am looking forward to your reponses

I'm afraid you have a lot going against you there. It's a well known fact that most NZ employers prefer to see someone face to face before offering them a job, so that, unless a person has a really rare niche skill not found in NZ, overseas applications tend to end up in the wastepaper bin. Things will go better when you are present and can walk in in person, but if you need a job as soon as possible, and don't have any contacts, you may have to resign yourself to taking something entry-level and boring to begin with while you look around.

Who do you know? Or who do you know who knows somebody? Do any of the academics you worked with have colleagues in NZ universities to whom they could give an introduction? What about DHL? - have any of their contacts in NZ got any openings? Or what about similar companies? Research their websites to see if they are recruiting. Even if they are not, write and tell them about yourself and when you are arriving. Look on the internet at who the big businesses are in the area where you will be living, and research their likely needs. For all these companies, when you arrive, prepare a NZ-style CV and introductory letter, and personally take it to their place of business - don't leave it with the receptionist, but make a point of meeting the owner, or the HR person in a bigger company, so you make a personal impression.

But for now, research, and calling in any favours you can think of for introductions would seem to be the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I'm afraid you have a lot going against you there. It's a well known fact that most NZ employers prefer to see someone face to face before offering them a job, so that, unless a person has a really rare niche skill not found in NZ, overseas applications tend to end up in the wastepaper bin. Things will go better when you are present and can walk in in person, but if you need a job as soon as possible, and don't have any contacts, you may have to resign yourself to taking something entry-level and boring to begin with while you look around.

Who do you know? Or who do you know who knows somebody? Do any of the academics you worked with have colleagues in NZ universities to whom they could give an introduction? What about DHL? - have any of their contacts in NZ got any openings? Or what about similar companies? Research their websites to see if they are recruiting. Even if they are not, write and tell them about yourself and when you are arriving. Look on the internet at who the big businesses are in the area where you will be living, and research their likely needs. For all these companies, when you arrive, prepare a NZ-style CV and introductory letter, and personally take it to their place of business - don't leave it with the receptionist, but make a point of meeting the owner, or the HR person in a bigger company, so you make a personal impression.

But for now, research, and calling in any favours you can think of for introductions would seem to be the way forward.

Hi Jan, thank you so much for very useful comments. My question is that even I arrive in NZ but most of the job application should be done online so at the moment I submit my CV; how can they classified if I am or am not in NZ? Is it because that I did not include my address in NZ?

Unfortunately, my academic colleagues are mostly working in Germany, the only thing they could do for me is becoming my referees.

My boss in DHL will definitely help me if there is a job opening in NZ, but there are no jobs available right now.

Could you please send me a sample of Kiwi CV and introductory letter? It would be great if I can have a guideline. And regarding your suggestion of face to face application, should I just drop in any company near my location (Auckland CBD) or I should see if there is a job available first, then come?

How can I reach the owner or HR person in this case?

Maybe I am asking many questions but please excuse me, your suggestions are very useful to me.

Here https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour....0.76_Lb8tzbvg are links suggesting correct styles for NZ CVs.

Is it because that I did not include my address in NZ?
    No NZ address or phone number.

should I just drop in any company near my location (Auckland CBD) or I should see if there is a job available first, then come?
    Both. Go online to the websites and see if any are advertising at the time, and for those you can tailor an application to the particular job (very important to do this, so they see you have taken the time to inform yourself about their company and what they need). For any that aren't advertising, go and see them with your CV, and ask to see the appropriate person - be prepared to wait, or to come back at another time - so you can make an impression with your keenness, your experience, and (again) the fact that you have researched about their business, then ask if they will please keep your details on file in case an opening becomes available.

When you get to NZ, ask around among your neighbours, and your husband's family and colleagues, for places that might have vacancies. Having a NZer put in a word for you is very useful to get the first piece of "NZ experience" which many employers regard as very important.

Here https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour....0.76_Lb8tzbvg are links suggesting correct styles for NZ CVs.

No NZ address or phone number.

Both. Go online to the websites and see if any are advertising at the time, and for those you can tailor an application to the particular job (very important to do this, so they see you have taken the time to inform yourself about their company and what they need). For any that aren't advertising, go and see them with your CV, and ask to see the appropriate person - be prepared to wait, or to come back at another time - so you can make an impression with your keenness, your experience, and (again) the fact that you have researched about their business, then ask if they will please keep your details on file in case an opening becomes available.

When you get to NZ, ask around among your neighbours, and your husband's family and colleagues, for places that might have vacancies. Having a NZer put in a word for you is very useful to get the first piece of "NZ experience" which many employers regard as very important.
    Thanks so much for very helpful comment

Both. Go online to the websites and see if any are advertising at the time, and for those you can tailor an application to the particular job (very important to do this, so they see you have taken the time to inform yourself about their company and what they need).
    I don't yet have any experience in the NZ marketplace, but I can reiterate that in general this is excellent advice. If you ever find yourself responsible for staffing of skilled positions, you will see that resumes for candidates that have taken the time to research the position, and then tailor their application to emphasize how they are best suited to provide value are the ones that jump out at you. These candidates are certainly the ones you are inclined to contact first--and they aren't necessarily those with the most experience or largest number of qualifications.

Reaching out to recruitment agents is a great option. Though you will most likely get a short term contract, it is a great way to gain NZ work experience and contacts.