Thread: Questions about SMC with job offer

Default Questions about SMC with job offer

Hi Guys and thanks for your constant update of your experience with INZ.

I am about to lodge my Eoi but I do have some doubts.
    I am currently employed in New Zealand as a Chef ANZSCO 3 with a salary of 23.49$. I have a diploma level 3 recognised by NZQA and i also have 4 years works experience with a total point of 180.
    Due to the new minimum threshold of 24.29$ I won't be able to apply for residence.
    I asked My employer if he can upgrade my salary so i can apply for the residence. He is happy to pay me 24.29$ but he said that he cannot afford to give me the same amount of hours that I am currently doing. At the moment i am working 40 hours a week as per contract.
    With the new salary he is keen to give me at least 32 hours a week in stead of 42hours. At the end of the year my salary will be more or less the same as if i was with a salary of 23.49$ with the only difference that i will do less hours ( how cool is that! My employer really need me ).
    My concern is how many hours i have to work at least to be considered full time in a Skilled Job? Will be the 32 hours considered full time ?
    I am currently on a 3 years essential skill work visa, can my employer change the minimum hours and the salary on my contract without having to apply for a variation of condition?

Hope to find an answer from you guys!

Happy banana!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matematica84 View Post
    Hi Guys and thanks for your constant update of your experience with INZ.

I am about to lodge my Eoi but I do have some doubts.
    I am currently employed in New Zealand as a Chef ANZSCO 3 with a salary of 23.49$. I have a diploma level 3 recognised by NZQA and i also have 4 years works experience with a total point of 180.
    Due to the new minimum threshold of 24.29$ I won't be able to apply for residence.
    I asked My employer if he can upgrade my salary so i can apply for the residence. He is happy to pay me 24.29$ but he said that he cannot afford to give me the same amount of hours that I am currently doing. At the moment i am working 40 hours a week as per contract.
    With the new salary he is keen to give me at least 32 hours a week in stead of 42hours. At the end of the year my salary will be more or less the same as if i was with a salary of 23.49$ with the only difference that i will do less hours ( how cool is that! My employer really need me ).
    My concern is how many hours i have to work at least to be considered full time in a Skilled Job? Will be the 32 hours considered full time ?
    I am currently on a 3 years essential skill work visa, can my employer change the minimum hours and the salary on my contract without having to apply for a variation of condition?

Hope to find an answer from you guys!

Happy banana!!!!
    anything more than 30 hours is considered full time.

I'd d want to be very sure you meet the SMC requirement for a Chef before applying.

Hi Chris Mwn and appreciate your reply. My only issue ( at the moment ) it is about the salary, but thank you for the advise about the requirements for a chef .

I was on a 457 visa in Australia as chef for 3 years, I have reference letter, pay slips and taxation documents. At the moment i am working as a Sous Chef in a restaurant in the South Island and as I said I have a qualification already recognised for my profession. Now I am filling up the EOI and i have to make sure everything is ok.

I have red of few people have gotten troubles by applying under the skill category CHEF 351311 because it can be hard to show that you meet the requirements. Hope to see other guest on this forum applying as Chef sharing their experiences. I will share mine for sure.

Hope Government won't change again the minimum salary for skilled employment.

Quote Originally Posted by Matematica84 View Post
    Hi Chris Mwn and appreciate your reply. My only issue ( at the moment ) it is about the salary, but thank you for the advise about the requirements for a chef .

I was on a 457 visa in Australia as chef for 3 years, I have reference letter, pay slips and taxation documents. At the moment i am working as a Sous Chef in a restaurant in the South Island and as I said I have a qualification already recognised for my profession. Now I am filling up the EOI and i have to make sure everything is ok.

I have red of few people have gotten troubles by applying under the skill category CHEF 351311 because it can be hard to show that you meet the requirements. Hope to see other guest on this forum applying as Chef sharing their experiences. I will share mine for sure.

Hope Government won't change again the minimum salary for skilled employment.
    Your issue may be demonstrating that your role is a substantial match to ANZSCO. The issue generally is that requires total autonomy, which is of course difficult in a sous chef role.
    See various IPT decisions relating to chefs at https://forms.justice.govt.nz/search/IPT/Residence/

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    Your issue may be demonstrating that your role is a substantial match to ANZSCO. The issue generally is that requires total autonomy, which is of course difficult in a sous chef role.
    See various IPT decisions relating to chefs at https://forms.justice.govt.nz/search/IPT/Residence/
    This is very helpful !! Thank you ChrisMwn

Thanks for the link, very helpful.