Thread: Job Search Visa - How to determine a job opportunity is a skilled job for me?

Question Job Search Visa - How to determine a job opportunity is a skilled job for me?

I am confused about how to determine a job opportunity is a skilled job or not for me if I am on a JSV. Do I need to consider my IQA result to determine a skilled job for me?

For my case, I applied for SMC Resident Visa without a job offer, let's discuss in case I got a JSV.

In my application, I submitted IQA result, which stated that my qualification for both occupations "Analyst Programmer" and "Systems Analyst" are fulfilled LTSSL.

My IQA result, my LTSSL occupations in ANZSCO,
    261112 Systems Analyst
    261311 Analyst Programmer

In this case, what kind of job I secured can fulfil to move my JSV to a Resident Visa?

For example, in ANZSCO, the same UNIT GROUP 2613 Software and Applications Programmers, there are:
    • 261311 Analyst Programmer
    • 261312 Developer Programmer
    • 261313 Software Engineer
    • 261314 Software Tester
    • 261399 Software and Applications Programmers nec

They are all in LTSSL, I think in the same UNIT GROUP, any job about can fulfil the Resident Visa requirement right?

How about the MINOR GROUP 261 or even the same SUB-MAJOR GROUP 26? For example:
    • Same MINOR Group 261 - 261212 Web Developer
    • Same SUB-MAJOR GROUP 26 - 262111 Database Administrator

They are both also in LTSSL
    My IQA stated my 2 occupations are both in [2611], for the about 2 example, they are in [261] and [26] only, can they fulfil my Resident Visa requirement?

Finally, how about in another Major Group? For example:
    • 135112 ICT Project Manager

This job also in LTSSL, and it is a real option to me, but not listed in my IQA result. Is it also counted in my options to move from JSV to RV?

How can I check a job opportunity to apply is going to fulfil Resident Visa requirement for me? I don't want to get a job and spent a few months working on it in the short 9 months JSV period but finally the result is not fulfilling my Resident Visa requirement.

Thank you for any reply!

That is a nice topic you started - I am anxiously waiting for the audience responses.

I think this question may be a bit complex, we may need respectful JandM or ChrisMwn to give us useful information

I am not in the IT business, so I don't understand fine distinctions between the various jobs. HOWEVER, I have seen it said on the forums before that someone on the SMC JSV can satisfy the requirement for a skilled job to get them their Residence by getting any job in IT which requires the same level/type of qualification and experience as the one they proved in their SMC application.

ChrisMwn, do you have more detailed knowledge to add?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I am not in the IT business, so I don't understand fine distinctions between the various jobs. HOWEVER, I have seen it said on the forums before that someone on the SMC JSV can satisfy the requirement for a skilled job to get them their Residence by getting any job in IT which requires the same level/type of qualification and experience as the one they proved in their SMC application.

ChrisMwn, do you have more detailed knowledge to add?
    In my opinion, so long as the role meets the requirements for relevance, and is a substantial match to a role on ANZSCO, then that's what the INZ instructions require. I wouldn't get too concerned about the IT job titles

Im in this unit group currently 261212 but also would fall into 261312, reason i chose to go with 261212 is because all the proof to claim my experince would fall into 261212 and only some of it would fall into 261312.

All the above are different jobs with slight overlaps, you have more chance of getting a job in the unit you already know than starting over, i have been a lead developer in NZ for a year and a half and had to hire a few guys, when looking at CVs i was looking for a developer that knew the common languages we used in 261212, if they were Software Engineers working with C JAVA etc or testers we wouldnt even look at their cvs, you may get a company willing to hire you but it would most likely be as a junior

Thanks for your input, NZDeveloper.

Thank you for all useful comments!