Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requirements for Resident Visa to PR

Default Requirements for Resident Visa to PR

Hi Folks, and especially to @JandM

I received my resident visa in early 2015.
    Due to some personal emergency, I had to leave NZ for a couple of months, before getting my PR.

I have already completed all the mandatory requirements for PR:
    If you were the principal applicant of the original residence application, you can obtain a Permanent Resident Visa if you:
    • have held your resident visa for at least two years, and
    • have met any conditions of your Resident Visa, and
    • have shown a commitment to New Zealand in one of the five ways that meet our requirements.
      You have spent enough time in New Zealand
      You have spent 184 days or more in New Zealand as a resident in each of the two 12 month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding your application for permanent residence.

To get Resident Visa to PR, I need to get the stamping done at the end of 2-year of first entry into NZ; but I am not able to go to NZ for next few months.
    Please let me know the following:
    • Can I get my PR stamping done outside NZ?
    • Will me not being present in NZ affect my PR ?

Please provide your inputs if anyone has gone through a similar situation?

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident Please see the bottom section on that link, If you're out of New Zealand and don't have travel conditions, and the links on from there. You can indeed get your PR visa when outside NZ, as long as you meet the conditions specified.

Notice, INZ count BACKWARDS from the date of application when checking the criteria. So whenever you apply, they will look at the 12 months immediately before that date, looking for 184 days when you were in NZ, then again for the 12 months previous to that. (Putting it another way, you can't "qualify" for PR by having passed two years with 184 days in NZ in each, then let time pass and necessarily expect it is still all okay. If you spent extra time (e.g. seven months) outside NZ, the 12 months immediately before your application would not show 184 days in the country, and the time at the beginning of your stay would have slipped beyond the qualifying two years.)

@jandM .

asking behalf of somebody . will it be a problem for somebody applying PR visa from residency visa, if he has speeding ticket and 10 demerits points deducted ? because a person has to mention it . thanks

If it is just the one occasion, and if it was a ticket given by a police officer dealing with the incident at the roadside, NOT being taken to court, it should be all right. The person needs to write "paid infringement only" on the form, as a roadside ticket is not a conviction.

thanks .

Exclamation Some more questions

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident Please see the bottom section on that link, If you're out of New Zealand and don't have travel conditions, and the links on from there. You can indeed get your PR visa when outside NZ, as long as you meet the conditions specified.

Notice, INZ count BACKWARDS from the date of application when checking the criteria. So whenever you apply, they will look at the 12 months immediately before that date, looking for 184 days when you were in NZ, then again for the 12 months previous to that. (Putting it another way, you can't "qualify" for PR by having passed two years with 184 days in NZ in each, then let time pass and necessarily expect it is still all okay. If you spent extra time (e.g. seven months) outside NZ, the 12 months immediately before your application would not show 184 days in the country, and the time at the beginning of your stay would have slipped beyond the qualifying two years.)
    Hi JandM,

As always, you are the best person to guide in all the NZ immigration related queries. Thanks a lot for your response.

As per the rules, I will be applying for the PR exactly after 2-years from the date of first entry with the Resident Visa.
    Now, I am pretty sure that I would have completed the 184-days criteria in the last 2-year immediately preceding the date of PR application.
    And I had a completely clean record in NZ without any incidents/tickets

• Please let me know if there is still any possibility of immigration rejecting the PR?
    • As I will not apply for PR from within-NZ, will it affect my PR application? Does the INZ give any preference to PR applicants who are applying from within-NZ
    • If yes, then what could be the possible reasons for such a rejection?

I am a bit anxious about it, as a friend has told me that it is still possible for the immigration to reject the PR.
    Please let me know your views and if you have a seen any similar case in the past

Thanks
    Last edited by NZ_Dreamer24; 14th February 2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Additional question

Please let me know if there is still any possibility of immigration rejecting the PR?
    If you meet all the requirements, no. The requirements are:
    If you were the principal applicant of the original residence application, you can obtain a Permanent Resident Visa if you:

have held your resident visa for at least two years, and
    have met any conditions of your Resident Visa, and
    have shown a commitment to New Zealand in one of the five ways that meet our requirements.
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident
    and ONE of these possibilities. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...zealand/slider There is also the same character requirement as for a residence visa, so if you had offended against NZ law in some way since being granted Residence, that could be a problem - I know you say you haven't, but I'm putting this here for the sake of giving a complete answer. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35052.htm

As I will not apply for PR from within-NZ, will it affect my PR application?
    No.
    Does the INZ give any preference to PR applicants who are applying from within-NZ
    No.
    If yes, then what could be the possible reasons for such a rejection?
    No such thing.

It's an odd quirk of human nature that there is almost always a bystander who will tell a visa applicant a horror story about someone who knew someone who "tried to do the same thing, but it went horribly wrong". If it's ever possible to track back any of these stories about INZ to hear the details of what actually happened, the reason always comes down to the application having been flawed in some way - it didn't meet the rules, so of course INZ wouldn't grant the visa in that case.

If you meet the rules, you will get PR. It is a visa with much simpler requirements than residence or a work visa.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you meet all the requirements, no. The requirements are:
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident
    and ONE of these possibilities. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...zealand/slider There is also the same character requirement as for a residence visa, so if you had offended against NZ law in some way since being granted Residence, that could be a problem - I know you say you haven't, but I'm putting this here for the sake of giving a complete answer. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35052.htm

No.
    No.
    No such thing.

It's an odd quirk of human nature that there is almost always a bystander who will tell a visa applicant a horror story about someone who knew someone who "tried to do the same thing, but it went horribly wrong". If it's ever possible to track back any of these stories about INZ to hear the details of what actually happened, the reason always comes down to the application having been flawed in some way - it didn't meet the rules, so of course INZ wouldn't grant the visa in that case.

If you meet the rules, you will get PR. It is a visa with much simpler requirements than residence or a work visa.
    JandM, thank you so much for your response.
    It is definitely a relief now.

Question Any conditions after getting the PR?

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_Dreamer24 View Post
    JandM, thank you so much for your response.
    It is definitely a relief now.

Hi Jandm

Hope you are doing well. I received my PR stamping last year after much wait. Attaching the screenshot below.
    Please let me know if there is still any kind of restriction/condition that I need to fulfill after getting the PR. I am currently outside NZ, and may not be able to return to NZ soon.

Thanks

Z_1 - Copy.jpg

No, there are no conditions.

You have now got the right to enter NZ without restriction, for life, and to live there whenever you want to - if you need to work to earn a living, you don't have to be in a skilled job any longer if you don't want, and you would be allowed to start your own business. You could be a student at domestic rates (but you wouldn't be eligible for a NZ government grant without spending longer in NZ beforehand).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast