Thread: Getting a visa with UK debt

Default Getting a visa with UK debt

Wow it's been 2 years since I have been on this forum ! So maybe a brief introduction lol

We're a young family of 5 (we were a family of 3 last time I was on here 😂 ). A life in New Zealand has been our goal now for over 4 years and finally my husband has his qualifications and there seems to be quite a bit of opportunity for him in New Zealand. He is an air con and refrigeration mechanic.

Visa wise he easily meets the criteria for a skilled migrant visa. But our new problem is our debt. The past few years our finances got way out of hand, we had a period of homelessness when our landlord ended our rental unexpectedly and we ended up stuck sofa crashing with family and now stuck in a really expensive rental. Had to take a car out if finance when ours was unexpectedly written off and take out a few loans to cover our pit falls. It all caught up on us and we're now on a DRO (all debts paused for a year to give us time to get back on our feet). We're now in the position that we are a lot better off but our lives here are now just working and getting no where and my close family have all moved abroad. Our debts when they resume will still take years to pay off and it's likely they will resume with some sort of payment plan. My question is, can we still get a visa with debt ? Jobs over here are very hard to come by and the one my husband does have actually requires him to work away a lot so although yes we could stay here and pay off our debts I don't want my young children to have a life that is us constantly struggling to pay for this expensive house (hard to get another rental with our now non existent credit score) , hardly seeing their dad and by the time our debts are gone they'll have spent most of their childhood here. We've now saved enough to get a deposit on a house which is useless as we can't get a mortgage for 5 years here now lol so I would much rather use that money towards our dream move and hopefully have a bit more luck in New Zealand where we have always wanted to go. Everyone that has left this country has a much better life. I feel living here we are stuck constantly fighting a losing battle and if we don't go soon we never will

Other posters on the forum have said that your overseas credit rating isn't checked at the moment (although with modern technology, obviously it COULD be any time governments decided to get together on the issue). Here https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour....0.ZRZ0C4JNd1o are some old threads on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Other posters on the forum have said that your overseas credit rating isn't checked at the moment (although with modern technology, obviously it COULD be any time governments decided to get together on the issue). Here https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour....0.ZRZ0C4JNd1o are some old threads on the subject.
    If we're still paying the debt though should it be a problem for actually getting the visa like is that something they will check and turn us down for ? I'm not planning to necessarily leave it behind but rather just keep the small repayment plan going so we can move before our children get any older.

I've never heard of its happening. Anybody else with some experience on this, please?

Sorry for all the questions but been a while since I've looked into this. Three under three I don't get much time 😂 am I right in thinking that if my circumstance change while still in the 'pool' I can update it?? For example, if he got a job offer which he COULD be hearing about in the coming months, but, he is also still looking.

Which of you two is the main applicant?

You had better look carefully at the regulations for SMC (though I do understand you are busy) - there was a BIG change in the requirements as from last August.

My husband would be main applicant. I've read up briefly over the last few weeks. When I've been calculating points etc it does mention changes just not what those changes are. Some reading for tonight I guess !

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa Click on the Criteria tab, then Show Evidence. That gives you the main headings. Then see here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm (the list on the left) for the fine details of requirements.

I once knew an American who was able to get a partnership residence visa with no issues, and she had over US$250,000 in student loan debt.

I applied for and received a SMC resident visa five years ago, and my own (much smaller!) US student loan debt didn't factor into the decision at all.

You should be fine.