Thread: new passport timing with new visas

Default new passport timing with new visas

Hey everyone,

In June we will have our travel restrictions removed from our residence visa.

Will we send our passports in for a new sticker or just keep the same one?

I ask because we both need to renew our passports and trying to figure out the cheapest way to do that instead of paying for a new visa, maybe we can get our new passports before and just get the new visas put in there. Thanks!

Pamela

If you aren't wanting to travel before you get your new passports, it's all right to continue with the existing, Residence, visas in them while you are in NZ. But if you want to travel, you will have to apply for PR https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident, because your two years' travel conditions will have expired - if you went outside NZ, you wouldn't have permission to re-enter the country.

thanks, I'm just confused about how to go about getting a passport which I need around the time my 2 years are up.

my thoughts were if I got my visa before my passport then I would have to pay to switch the sticker to my new one very shortly after, but I thought maybe I cant if I needed my old passport with visa to be active to keep my visa active, if that makes any sense.

Your right to hold a visa does not depend on having an in-date passport with it in. Your residence visa lasts for ever while you are in NZ, and that is on record with INZ, so whenever you present your new passport it could be put in (even though there has been a gap when you didn't have an in-date passport at all). If, around that same time, you went through the necessary check to have PR granted, and sent in your NEW passport (without any visa yet) and your OLD expired passport with the residence visa label in it, your PR can be put into the new passport.

awesome thank you!!!