Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Occupational registration requirement

Default Occupational registration requirement

Does anyone know if an Electrical engineer needs an occupational registration?

My CO is asking me for “Occupational Registration as an Electrical Engineer” as It’s required in SM10.5 Occupations requiring registration.

However, this page says “Engineer Registration is not required”

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...l-registration

Actually, when I applied for my work visa, I didn’t need to provide evidence that I hold Occupational Registration as an Electrical Engineer.

Can anyone, especially who has applied for SMC under electrical engineer occupation please advise? And how to apply for the Occupational Registration?

5th post to be able to PM

I'm wondering if INZ - or at least, this CO - is equating it to "electrician". In which case, looking at SM10.5 https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsm...c.htm?6954.htm, I wonder if the Note at the bottom might apply to you?

Is there somebody out there who has gone through this?

Mind you, this page in the operational manual is part of the new regulations, so someone who has gone before you may not have had the same instructions. Last year and the year before, there were a lot of rather puzzled people being told they had to do the engineer registration if their job title was any kind of engineer, but that now seems to have changed.

I asked Engineeringnz (Previously IPENZ) "Could you please advise if I need to hold Occupational Registration in order to undertake employment in New Zealand as an Electrical Engineer?"

Their answer is: "There is no legal requirement to hold an occupational registration in order to work as an Electrical Engineer in NZ, and it is possible to get a job without any registration."

Could you please advise what i should reply to the CO?

Copy those emails between you and engineeringnz on to the CO, saying tactfully that you have followed her instructions but this is what the official body have replied to you.

Thanks JandM. I've emailed the CO. She replied that she'll look into it.

Hi Hugh.H. Im on the same boat as you. Could you please share how you comply this "Occupationa Registration" requirement?

I emailed Engineeringnz asking if I was required that registration to work as electrical engineer in NZ. They confirmed not required.

Then forwarded that email to the CO. She accepted.

Good luck goldex12

Thank you for sharing @Hugh.H. Its has been a puzzle for me in this past few months. Another thing, did you undergo KA02 assessment and EWRB? Finally, What is your status now in your work visa application?
    I would be extremely grateful for sharing your journey in this matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast