Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: interim visa while awaiting for residency

Quote Originally Posted by areddy View Post
    Hi Imran,
    Thank you for your inputs. Just a few doubts on this.

Did you have to pay for the work visa again?
    Or you just mailed them and requested for an extension without paying?

And, if you don't mind me asking. which visa are we talking here about?
    Essential Skills or some other visa?

Kind Regards.
    There is no extension for work visas, or any visa to my knowledge (JandM, correct me if I'm wrong), except travel conditions on a Residence Visa, Working Holiday and short renew times on some student visas.

You have to apply for a whole new temporary visa with fees and applicable evidence.

This is also applicable if your temporary visa runs out before your residence is likely to be approved. There is no interim between these visas.

The only reason some (not all) temporary visas are approved very quickly for people who have submitted residency, is because they have all their evidence ready to go and the same evidence is in the system already. INZ can see you have a residence application in the system, plus all the evidence to support it.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/know...-question-1111

Quote Originally Posted by Imran07 View Post
    Hey areddy, yes they were new essential skills applications submitted for an extension based on residency. Had to pay application fees x 2 + my LIA charges.
    Tell me about it!

Hi friends,

I applied for residency (SMC) in March, and have 13 months left in my work visa. I am hopeful that we will hear within this period, but in case annual quota is reduced from 60k (Winston said in one interview that 35k could be right target) and if processing is delayed, there are chances that my residency application will not be processed in next 13 months.

What should be Plan B in that case? My employer is not accredited and as per their policy, they don't sponsor visa. They won't be accredited (under new law) just to hire me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deverett View Post
    What I'm interested to see is if there is any change to this given the long delays in the migrant visas at the moment. It seems unfair that an employer needs to jump through hoops and then people reapply for visas and pay the expense due to INZ not looking at applications in a reasonable time frame. If you had over 12 months on your work visa when you applied for residency it does seem harsh to enforce this rule. Luckily we have over a year left so hopefully they have 12 months to look at our SMC application before it's an issue but there must be people around that are beginning to have this problem now.
    I am to going to be in this situation as you described. Immigration received my SMC application in late Jan 19 and indicated 13 Nov 19 as expectation date of completion for my application. After nine months of waiting nothing happened like i didn't apply it at all. I did ask them and got super generic reply.

My current visa is going to expire April 20 and I am going to apply another visa after Xmas next year. So my $$ and time again.

I don't think they will do anything about it. They are busy, and not taking extra responsibilities/efforts (in my opinion), and I understand no one in immigration is legally responsible for delay and no one in immigration has to care about our situations.

Quote Originally Posted by areyouhappy View Post
    I am to going to be in this situation as you described. Immigration received my SMC application in late Jan 19 and indicated 13 Nov 19 as expectation date of completion for my application. After nine months of waiting nothing happened like i didn't apply it at all. I did ask them and got super generic reply.

My current visa is going to expire April 20 and I am going to apply another visa after Xmas next year. So my $$ and time again.

I don't think they will do anything about it. They are busy, and not taking extra responsibilities/efforts (in my opinion), and I understand no one in immigration is legally responsible for delay and no one in immigration has to care about our situations.
    It's very frustrating, I paid $620 for a partnership work visa. It was valid for one week – then my residency came through.

Quote Originally Posted by areyouhappy View Post

You got an expected date of completion as 13 Nov. 2019. In my case, they said it will take 3 to 12 months to complete my application and it starts from date of appointment of case officer. So my timeline haven't yet started. I applied in March. Can't understand why this double standard in communication, what prompted them to.

I think it's the same letter but chances are that areyouhappy didn't read it properly, like most of us. Mine says estimated time is 31st October but does have the time starts when you get a CO, I just never read that until you mentioned it on here. Have you attempted an escalation on the basis of your visa running out and the financial implications?

I find it incredibly unfair that we should be out of pocket for not earning $106000 a year, the priority queue is frustrating enough as it is but expecting people to stump up more money for their inefficiencies and not getting visas approved makes it even worse. As I said before, it's not as if it's been left to the month before, you've given a years notice of your intention to commit to NZ and they could at least prioritise those who are running low on time on their current visas instead of chasing more police certificates and documentation to extend your stay.

Quote Originally Posted by VedSaumya View Post
    You got an expected date of completion as 13 Nov. 2019. In my case, they said it will take 3 to 12 months to complete my application and it starts from date of appointment of case officer. So my timeline haven't yet started. I applied in March. Can't understand why this double standard in communication, what prompted them to.
    My girlfriend applied for her own SMC in Aug and in her letter there is no mention about the completion date as I think they have changed their strategy (or they are always changing) and don't want to make any promises to set up applicants' expectations then get troubles later on like you and me.

I think they are not consistent and their easy answer would usually be "every case is different and processing time can be significant different from what they indicate". So technically they protect themselves pretty well.

I think it's the same letter but chances are that areyouhappy didn't read it properly, like most of us. Mine says estimated time is 31st October but does have the time starts when you get a CO, I just never read that until you mentioned it on here. Have you attempted an escalation on the basis of your visa running out and the financial implications?

I find it incredibly unfair that we should be out of pocket for not earning $106000 a year, the priority queue is frustrating enough as it is but expecting people to stump up more money for their inefficiencies and not getting visas approved makes it even worse. As I said before, it's not as if it's been left to the month before, you've given a years notice of your intention to commit to NZ and they could at least prioritise those who are running low on time on their current visas instead of chasing more police certificates and documentation to extend your stay.

The letter they sent to me said:

"Dear xxx

We have received your Skilled Migrant Resident visa application. Your application number is xxxxxxxx.

We expect to complete your application by 12 November 2019
    ..."

I think this is simple sentence and they didn't mention CO start time in any other parts of letter. This date definitely should cover all processes? although they can always say "actual time is case by case" and i am prepared for this.

re your second point, this means recent graduates like me would suffer from this as >99% of grads can't make it to $10.6k in their first year. I wish they could do something about applicant like us running low on time (either speed up or give me interim work condition to allow me to continue my work while waiting - i can't understand why they never get interim condition to those who applied for residence ), rather than we have to pay extra for their low efficiency/problems. However, crying baby gets candy - they don't have incentives/requirements to do that unless we make voice to make them aware of us?

For me there is no problem selecting their favorite immigrants, after all this is all about selection which is designed to be unfair. I am not very happy about the following:

1. If you have internal criteria,make it transparent and consistent - applicants don't like sitting in the dark and feel very uncertain as this is important for their lives. Trying to hide something makes me feel the government is not trustworthy and in this SMC process I feel in many small ways they want us to give up or get confused??

2. They make mistakes and usually we pay for their mistakes, this is truly unfair. They made quite a few stupid mistakes in my previous application, which made me and my company angry because there was a period i can only stay at home while my company needs me, and we were just waiting for officer to approve my work visa - it turned out the officer forgot my application and caused delay due to nothing.

3. I understand the immigration/government staff, they are working hard and things for them are not easy. My girlfriend works for government, and she says they can't make their own decisions, everything she does must following dead rules and must protect her team and governments. and one small application can be held on their hands for years and applicant has passed away before they finish the application. every small shit things they have meetings and talk to other departments and argue bits and pieces etc.

in the end these all combining together make us hard. Sorry i am not making strong complaints, just say what I feel based on my experience and what i heard from this forum.

Thanks

sorry forget your question - no I didn't attempt an escalation or call up YET

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12