Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things you'd do differently

Default Things you'd do differently

For those who have made the move, I would like to know if you'd do anything differently or, actually, time things differently.

Was there something that you wished you'd sorted out before the move rather than after arriving in NZ. A particular finance, schooling, employment issues, or the like. Would you have done something X weeks earlier.

Thanks.

One thing people have often mentioned on the threads is how it would have been easier to get evidence from official bodies (e.g. police checks, details of their degree course from their university) and previous employers while they were still in the same country.

JandM, think I would be ok on those points as have done IQA, and would be applying for job, then visa, from UK.
    Thanks.

Not much...but it was my third migration experience and international move. So I'd made most of the mistakes on previous ones. And I'm used to dealing with bureaucracy, so the relatively daunting visa process wasn't a problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    One thing people have often mentioned on the threads is how it would have been easier to get evidence from official bodies (e.g. police checks, details of their degree course from their university) and previous employers while they were still in the same country.
    Sounds like that would make sense, but it probably depends on the country? My understanding for US police checks is that there were authorized agents who could get it done from NZ pretty rapidly. And now that NZQA is operating digitally instead of with paper documents, it seems like there would be less of a hassle getting credentials handled...as for previous employers, seems like something that could be handled over email as well?

You may be right. But since the OP asked, "I would like to know if you'd do anything differently," I mentioned what a lot of forum members have said after it was too late, and they were IN the situation of trying to get some response or other from the other side of the world. I remember, after my son moved to NZ, going on his behalf prepared to sit in the office of a particular government department all day if necessary until they actually printed off the item needed for INZ that someone had promised over the phone they would send a month previously. (They only kept me waiting three hours - I think it was a try-on till they realized I really WASN'T going to leave without the document.) The 'think ahead' recommendation is for people who aren't leaving behind in their home country anyone who could act on their behalf like that. Emails are fine if people read and answer them, and don't put it off to answer... whenever. Better safe than sorry.

Hi, I'm still on my work visa so perhaps won't officially qualify for "making the move", as the process has not been fully completed.
    But if I am able to do things differently, I wish I had known more people in 'wherever the place that you want to move' and had better financial preparation prior to the move.
    Why? When I have just arrived here on my student visa, I have bombarded myself to go out there and look for a part time job that is in line with my study.
    Then I spent most of my time being chasing the next public transport between school - work - home. I realised the time I spent on public transport was close to >6hrs. I went out early at 7am and back at 10.30pm. When I arrived home I had to cook, clean, study, do homework. I think you see what I really mean here. My friendly neighbours will comeby to ask how am I doing, but I was too tired physically and mentally to socialize.
    I know there's a lot of other people experience even more "tiring" journey, but, that is my "if only" story.. thanks for listening/reading.

Quote Originally Posted by arin0205 View Post
    Hi, I'm still on my work visa so perhaps won't officially qualify for "making the move", as the process has not been fully completed.
    But if I am able to do things differently, I wish I had known more people in 'wherever the place that you want to move' and had better financial preparation prior to the move.
    Why? When I have just arrived here on my student visa, I have bombarded myself to go out there and look for a part time job that is in line with my study.
    Then I spent most of my time being chasing the next public transport between school - work - home. I realised the time I spent on public transport was close to >6hrs. I went out early at 7am and back at 10.30pm. When I arrived home I had to cook, clean, study, do homework. I think you see what I really mean here. My friendly neighbours will comeby to ask how am I doing, but I was too tired physically and mentally to socialize.
    I know there's a lot of other people experience even more "tiring" journey, but, that is my "if only" story.. thanks for listening/reading.
    Wow, 6 hours of transit! Now that's what I call "pounding the pavement" to find work :-) Were you able to scale back your commute once you found a job, or was that what you had to do every day because you had to go with a faraway job?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Emails are fine if people read and answer them, and don't put it off to answer... whenever. Better safe than sorry.
    Yeah, true haha

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    Wow, 6 hours of transit! Now that's what I call "pounding the pavement" to find work :-) Were you able to scale back your commute once you found a job, or was that what you had to do every day because you had to go with a faraway job?
    Perhaps I was lucky enough to say that >6hrs of transit is because I have found a job, Juniper, but it was a constant activity for my first 8 months here.
    Last edited by kiaora2016; 14th March 2018 at 07:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast