Does anyone understand the process of taxing and reporting (conventional) IRA distributions for a US person (60+) who has been a long-time NZ tax resident with no contributions to the IRA made since arriving? I'm thinking of one or two payments a year.

My understanding is that normal income taxes are paid to NZ on each distribution and then an equivalent credit is taken towards US taxes due on form 1116, allowed by the tax treaty.

I could employ a tax advisor but I feel that this common situation should be straightforward enough to handle myself, plus it is a relatively expensive option for the low income involved.