Thread: Expiring passport

Default Expiring passport

Hi, guys, we need your advise in our situatuon.

My wife is going to apply for 3 years work visa and i'm gong to apply on a partners work visa. Immigration site says, that i need my passport to be valid 3 month longer than duratuon of visa i'm applying for, which means passport shoud be valid for 3 years and 3 month.

The problem is it expires after 3 years and 2 month and my country doesn't have an embassy in NZ.
    Will my application probably be declined because of it or it is possible to get partners visa for 2 years and 11 month?

There has just been someone else posting whose family member's visa ran out earlier than hers because his passport wasn't valid for so long. So I think it's standard for INZ, if they can't issue the visa to MATCH for length of time the one it depends on, to grant it for as long as they can.

But doesn't your country have an arrangement for getting a new passport from overseas? I think I remember hearing that some work through another country's embassy.

Unfortunately, official embassy site says that it usually takes up to 1 year to get passport renewed from ovsrseas

Ah - they don't make it easy for you, then.

But in that case, you should still be able to have a visa for MOST of the time your wife's will run for.

JandM, thank you for your reply. Is there any chance to get more confidence? Really afraid of getting application refused

If you have looked carefully at the INZ web page about the Partner of a Student work visa https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...lders#criteria, and you meet the criteria given, that is the nearest you can get to certainty until you have actually applied and your case has been processed.

EVERYONE gets afraid. It's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you have looked carefully at the INZ web page about the Partner of a Student work visa https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...lders#criteria, and you meet the criteria given, that is the nearest you can get to certainty until you have actually applied and your case has been processed.

EVERYONE gets afraid. It's normal.
    It's Partner of a worker work visa and i mean may be someone had a similar expierience and could make things more clear, but thank you for your reply

There you are, then https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...lders#criteria - Partner of a work work visa criteria.

Good evening,

Not sure if this helps as it was 2 years back. I was the primary applicant & have got a 2-year work visa stamped on my passport which was expiring in less than a year. There was a separate note highlighting that my visa have been granted for a period longer than the expiry of passport. I have been asked to transfer the visa after the renewal of passport to ensure the valid stay in NZ.

Hope this helps.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by anneaustin View Post
    Good evening,

Not sure if this helps as it was 2 years back. I was the primary applicant & have got a 2-year work visa stamped on my passport which was expiring in less than a year. There was a separate note highlighting that my visa have been granted for a period longer than the expiry of passport. I have been asked to transfer the visa after the renewal of passport to ensure the valid stay in NZ.

Hope this helps.

All the best.
    This is good information, thanks you very much!