Thread: Shop Online Woolworths & FoodTown

Default Shop Online Woolworths & FoodTown

I came across this completely by accident: http://www.progressive.co.nz/home1.asp

Woolworths & Foodtown both deliver, could be useful. Unfortunately, they only deliver to selected areas, but a good site for learning how much things cost.

Quote Originally Posted by dawn
    Woolworths & Foodtown both deliver, could be useful. Unfortunately, they only deliver to selected areas, but a good site for learning how much things cost.
    But remember that Woolworths are the most expensive supermarket in town (at least as far as Christchurch is concerned). Countdown and the dreaded PaknSave are much cheaper overall.

A bit like comparing Waitrose with Asda or KwikSave (if it's still going).

The site is the best in NZ for getting a feel for what is available and a rough cost, but you could take off 10 to 15 percent if you don't mind slumming it at PaknSave.

Thanks for the tips, I was wondering how they compared. In Masterton, there's RitePrice and New World, anyone know how they compare?

I have honestly not found a great deal of difference between Woolworths and the awful Pak'n'Save.

What you save on some things you spend on others. And the choice at P & S is simply appalling.

It was doing my head in every time I went - so I've stopped.

I get my groceries delivered about once every 4 weeks - I consider it as a "treat to myself"

And sometimes they send you "free delivery" offers which I always take up.

We have just received $45 in vouchers to spend at Woolworths just for using our "Onecard" points card thing.
    We get them about once every 4 months.

No way would I say Woolworths was the most expensive........ not by a LONG way actually!

I'm a former fan of Woolworths and if it was "easy" to get to one from here I'd probably head there. There may be some savings going to PaknShove but but I've found I'm better off going to places like the Funky Pumpkin for veg and the local butchers for meat. The rest I get at Countdown, Fresh Choice or Pak.... or the garden!! Woolies points do seem to mount up and, like Carol, I used to get a voucher every few months which is always blown on wine

Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    No way would I say Woolworths was the most expensive........ not by a LONG way actually!
    In NZ the large supermarket chains are often owner operated which means that there is often more of a difference store to store than you would get in the UK, for example, between different branches of Tesco or Sainsburys.

For that reason my comments relate specifically to Christchurch - our local Woolies (Ferrymead) is certainly the most expensive place to shop in the area (although we do end up using it a lot because of where it is in relation to us). The $15 voucher I've just received for my OneCard shopping in no way makes up for the higher cost of stuff there.

PaknSavs differ greatly from store to store. In Chch the Moorhouse PnS always comes out top (or bottom(!)) in the price comparisons, but is very much the stereotypical PnS store - Push'n'Shuv as some call it. The PnS at Northlands Mall is much better, and on Saturday I went into the one at Hornby Mall for the first time since they converted it from a New World and I thought it was as good as any supermarket I'd been into in Chch.

In the UK my wife would never darken the doors of a Kwik Save, but I personally couldn't see the difference between a cheap Kwik Save tin of Heinz Beans or Tomato Soup and one from Waitrose at a higher price. My wife explained to me that the shopping experience was better at Waitrose... PnS may not have the choice, but it has most of the basics at a good price and where those basics are branded items I don't really care about the shopping experience - I'd shop from tressle tables in the street if they gave me a better price!

I guess that's where the difference lies... Woz, too, would buy at the cheapest place he could find (is that a man thing?) whereas I am definitely more snobby about the brands I buy, because I certainly CAN tell the difference between them and I don't enjoy the cheaper brands - simple as.

Each to their own.. once you've shopped around a bit you'll gravitate towards your shop of choice depending on your priorities.

So true regarding shop location - the Woolies in Brighton is terrible in comparison with Ferrymead - best to check out your local store for yourself before condemning it!

The one that makes me laugh is SuperValue - purely because I personally don't find them to be either Super or good Value.... (having said that, when we lived in Sumner I'd go there as opposed to driving elsewhere... so again, location, location, location!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    The one that makes me laugh is SuperValue - purely because I personally don't find them to be either Super or good Value.... (having said that, when we lived in Sumner I'd go there as opposed to driving elsewhere... so again, location, location, location!!
    Oh yes, I'd forgotten about them. I suppose I don't see them as a 'real' supermarket, more of a type of 'Spar' or 'Mace' etc. We do use the one in Sumner, but only when we have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    So true regarding shop location - the Woolies in Brighton is terrible in comparison with Ferrymead - best to check out your local store for yourself before condemning it!
    Also the Woolies at Bishopdale is nothing like the Ferrymead one either.

One of the few benefits of the daily trek from Sumner to the airport area is that I can pass virtually any brand of supermarket I like depending on how I vary my route. Leaving price aside my favourites in Chch tend to be the Fresh Choices - the one in Merivale is soooo pokey, but does have a great range of stuff.

Yep, the Fresh Choice in Parklands Mall is great too

GeorgeM - does your convo before leaving work go something like "Anything you want me to pick up on the way home?"