Thread: am I covered for public healthcare?

Default am I covered for public healthcare?

Hi
    I arrived in NZ on a visitors visa in Oct 2016. On 23 Jan 2017 my first one year work visa was approved (expiring 23/1/18). I had to reapply for a work visa in Jan 2018 as my residency application was still pending. My second one year visa was approved 20/1/18-20/1/2019. So looking at the 2 one year visas, I am 3 days short of the 2 year rule for eligibility for public health care. But I was in the country since Oct 2016- is that considered part of the 2 years?
    My residency status online is now approved, but I am still waiting for the AIP letter, so according to my doctors, they can't look at my residency until I have the label in my passport.

See here. https://www.health.govt.nz/new-zeala...-years-or-more Yes, your time in NZ on the previous visa counts - there is a note on the link to that effect.

Thanks for the confirmation. That was my understanding too. I have now printed out that link to show the doctors receptionist.

A lot of them seem not to know all the details.

By the way, even if you already had your residence visa, I gather there can be a procedural delay before you are officially signed on as a registered patient with a particular practice, so if you need to see the doctor and get medication before that, you may have to pay the higher rate for those first services.

But you have the right to be registered, and for them to set the process in motion, definitely.