Thread: My partner's visitor visa is expiring but SMC is still pending. Please help!

Default My partner's visitor visa is expiring but SMC is still pending. Please help!

Hi can anybody here please help us please. We are panicking now.

Background We have resident application still pending and must live together no matter what. If she leaves NZ, we can't live together and the entire resident application will be affected because we applied together. There will be no future.

Original plan was I get a mid-skill work visa and then she can apply for partnership work visa. I meet all the requirements or I think so. My mid-skill work visa (applied on 13 Feb 2018) is still pending. I am currently low skill work visa which cannot support a partner.

Problem: I heard that there is a backlog of applications in INZ. My mid skill work visa will take longer than normal. But her visitor visa is expiring on 11th April 2018!

What can my partner do?
    1) Wait a while more until my mid skill work visa has result. But how long of a wait before my partner has to take the following actions?

2) Send in her partnership work visa application with a cover letter explaining the situation. i.e. telling the officer that my mid-skill WV is still pending. (Seems risker because my mid-skill WV hasn't has an outcome)

3) Apply for a general visitor visa extension right now before her visa expires. (seems to be safer route)

For 2 and 3, taking into consideration the time for INZ to receive her application and deduct money, how long before her expiry date is it safe to apply?

This is very stressful. I hope someone can point us to the right direction. Thank you!
    Last edited by yanyanyan881; 10th March 2018 at 04:21 AM.

Your partner could have sent in an application for a partner-sponsored visa at the same time as you sent yours - you link the two with a covering letter, and INZ then process the applications as one case, supplying things you don't know up front, like the visa number, as they become available.

So I think 2) is the best option. As long as her application is lodged while she is still covered by a valid visa, INZ can issue an Interim visa for her when her present one runs out. She can do this any time - she does not need to wait for the outcome of your application.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Your partner could have sent in an application for a partner-sponsored visa at the same time as you sent yours - you link the two with a covering letter, and INZ then process the applications as one case, supplying things you don't know up front, like the visa number, as they become available.

So I think 2) is the best option. As long as her application is lodged while she is still covered by a valid visa, INZ can issue an Interim visa for her when her present one runs out. She can do this any time - she does not need to wait for the outcome of your application.
    Hello JandM,
    Thank you very much for your advice. You are really a life saver.

In the worse case scenario, if my mid skill work visa or her partnership work visa are rejected for any reason, would INZ, at least give her a general visitor visa? So that we can at least continue living tgt for while waiting resident visa.

I don't know, as I don't know all your circumstances. INZ check all visa applications against the requirements for whichever visa, as given on the INZ website.
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria