Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citizenship application

Default Citizenship application

Hi everyone

I will be completing 5 years of residence in NZ by end of this month. This means I may be eligible to apply for citizenship. I understand that I need to stay 8 months of the year for every year since I got my residence visa, which was the end of this month in 2013. I have been travelling quite a lot and I have not kept full track of my travel dates. I was wondering how can I confirm that I am fulfilling the residence criteria for the citizenship application. Is it possible to check with Immigration NZ regarding my travel records? It would be too bad that I apply and they reject my application. The citizenship application is quite expensive.

I don't know, but in your place, I would ask INZ. Meantime, is there anybody out there who has done this?

The easiest and fastest way would be to ring the Department of Internal Affairs- they will tell you if you are eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    The easiest and fastest way would be to ring the Department of Internal Affairs- they will tell you if you are eligible.
    or make a Privacy Act request to INZ for "movements record", with your personal details, to alkoia@mbie.govt.nz

Another way is to send email to request an appointment to apply in person at their office closest to you from the list on their website. Prior to confirming this appointment, they should send you a form to obtain your consent to check with immigration whether you meet this requirement. They will advise you of the outcome of this check and only confirm the appointment if you meet this requirement. The other advantage of the applying in person option is that the officer should check your application for eligibility before accepting your application fee.

Jamboree787 - Please keep us updated about your progress!

We're in a similar boat. We initially moved to NZ, obtained permanent residence and were planning on applying for citizenship. Then, three years in, we had to return to the U.S. due to brother-in-law's health issues (wife didn't want to be so far away). It all turned out okay and we're planning on returning to NZ soon. We understood that our original time there would count toward citizenship. So we thought another two years or so and we'd qualify. But you mentioned "...need to stay 8 months of the year for every year since I got my residence visa..." so I'm a bit confused now. Since we haven't been there for a few years, does that mean we'll have to "start over"? Not a huge deal, but we were looking forward to gaining NZ citizenship.

TIA for anyone's insight!

There's a link here where you can check details. https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/mo...sa/citizenship But I think jamboree is right, and that you have to meet the minimum time during each of the five years preceding the date of your application - with other criteria, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    There's a link here where you can check details. https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/mo...sa/citizenship But I think jamboree is right, and that you have to meet the minimum time during each of the five years preceding the date of your application - with other criteria, too.
    Thanks for that Jan. It looks like that's correct, especially based on what it says on this page: https://www.govt.nz/browse/nz-passpo...e-requirements

Since we've been out of the country for more than 240 days each of the past few years, we may have to "start from scratch". However it does say that if "...you feel your situation is special, talk to the Citizenship Office." with their phone and email info. Might be worth a try, but either way we'll get there!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    or make a Privacy Act request to INZ for "movements record", with your personal details, to alkoia@mbie.govt.nz
    Great advice! I would not have known about this if you did not mention it. Thanks, this was very helpful. I got my movement records from them in 1 day.

Here's the site for other members: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/cont...st-information

Quote Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
    Jamboree787 - Please keep us updated about your progress!

We're in a similar boat. We initially moved to NZ, obtained permanent residence and were planning on applying for citizenship. Then, three years in, we had to return to the U.S. due to brother-in-law's health issues (wife didn't want to be so far away). It all turned out okay and we're planning on returning to NZ soon. We understood that our original time there would count toward citizenship. So we thought another two years or so and we'd qualify. But you mentioned "...need to stay 8 months of the year for every year since I got my residence visa..." so I'm a bit confused now. Since we haven't been there for a few years, does that mean we'll have to "start over"? Not a huge deal, but we were looking forward to gaining NZ citizenship.

TIA for anyone's insight!
    I will keep members posted on my status. I am no hurry as I also need to weigh in the situation of having 2 citizenships.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast