Thread: Enroling children in school while still on a visitor's visa

Lightbulb Enroling children in school while still on a visitor's visa

I have learned that there are two different possible ways for your kids to go to school, even if you are only on a visitor's visa.

- If they are only at the school for two weeks or less, they are considered "visitors" and do not need to properly enrol. Any school is technically allowed to do this, if they are willing. This could be free, or nearly free, I believe? You may need to at least buy a uniform/supplies.

- For any period between two weeks and three months, the child must pay a fee to attend school, and can only attend schools that are "Signatory to the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students."

Schools are not obligated to enrol your child, of course, as they are not residents.

I don't know if the fees are standardized, but I have been quoted $220 NZD + GST + $10.75 govt. levy, per week (per child, of course). This is for a school that runs from 9am-3pm (not sure if that makes a difference). You may also need to purchase a uniform, and "stationary" which means school supplies. The school I'm talking to says they will try and figure out a bare minimum of supplies to buy, since we are only going to be in the area for a month or two.

-Note that three months is the maximum time frame that a child can study on a visitor's visa - TOTAL, not per school.

http://www.education.govt.nz/school/...dent-visitors/

I can't help with the specifics of your situation, but in general - all schools run from 9-3 more or less (high school days are a bit longer, 8.40 - 3.15 at ours).
    Schools take "international students" as a profit-making venture and I don't think the fees are standardised, eg, our high school charges $3875.00 for 1 term (10 weeks) plus $250 admin fee per term.

You shouldn't need much in the way of stationery, you can pick up exercise books etc cheaply at Warehouse Stationery, and for a couple of months it shouldn't matter if they're not exactly what the school wants. Some schools do require a device (eg Chromebook).

If you need to buy a uniform, they can be horribly expensive new, so ask the school if they have second hand uniforms, or check out local op shops (thrift stores), Trademe or local Facebook groups. Depending on the uniform you might be able to get away with generic clothing for a couple of months (eg plain polo shirt or shorts the same colour but without the school logo).

Thanks, Oregonkiwi! We're going on a tour today, and may enrol in the next few days. Happily they only require a sunhat and school shirt, which comes to $36 total, not bad :-) I guess I need to wash the shirt every day, my 9 year old is already stinky