Thread: Job search visa for people with a young family

Default Job search visa for people with a young family

Hi everyone

After 5 months of waiting post-interview, I got offered a job search visa. I don't mind a JSV per se, but the problem is I can't bring my wife and my baby with me on this visa. It's very hard for me to leave them behind, and very hard for them to manage without me. Has anyone here been in this situation? How did you manage? Thanks.

Hi Sunshinenz,
    I absolutely understand your feelings, as me and my family were in the same situation sometime ago... My husband got a JSV and there were no other options for us except to let him travel alone. We have 2 kids and older one had to start his first year at school that time and I had to stay all alone with them (thanks a lot to my parents as they offered their help). It was really hard time for all of us. But My husband got a job offer and renewed his visa in just one month! And then I got my pertnership work visa and kids got their student visas! It took us a bit more then 2 months when we finally could join my husband in NZ. This is a real way to your dream of living here. And also you and your family should realize that you can come back anytime just in case (this thought was calming our minds). Wish a good luck to you!!!!!!

This is why we have come as a family on a 6 month visitor's visa at first to look around and get job interviews. This wouldn't work if you have already applied for a residence visa, though (you would be seen as potential overstayers at customs), and it's fairly risky. A lot of upheaval as well, but we have wanted to do extensive family travel for awhile anyway. You can get up to a 9 month visitor's visa when you apply ahead, and it can sometimes be extended to 12 months.
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/visitor-visa

Note that you can not make any interview appointments before you land in NZ, or else the purpose of your visit is considered to be BUSINESS. This option only works if you genuinely intend to take your family on a holiday. You can look for work once you are there, you can homeschool, you can even enrol your kids as international visitors at schools. (Up to two weeks for free at any school that will take them, or up to 3 months TOTAL IN NZ at schools that have an appropriate program. The latter costs a fee.)

Sorry this won't help you sunshineNZ, but for others wondering what their path to a residence visa could look like, it may be something to consider. Our family couldn't even take one month apart, it simply would be unworkable for us. We are trying the visitor's option, still early in our journey, and at the end the worst that will happen is that we've had a lovely few months together in NZ, and will have to rebuild our lives elsewhere.

I am with JSV just arrived end of Feb , but I will be going back every three weeks for few days and return. Personally for me , is a good way to get a job without family intervention. I dont see any reason bringing the wife and kids here as you not covered with the medical benefits and not able enroll to the govt school. Also is not easy to get accomodation to fit the family as you do not have a proper job.

I am in the same situation, my two daughters are 3 and 1 years old only! There is no other choice and I have to go NZ to do job searching alone. My wife and 2 daughters have to move to parents' home to get help from our parents for taking care children.