Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RV to PRV timeline

Default RV to PRV timeline

Hey in case you wanna know the current timeframe of permanent resident visa applications.
    Applied on 23 March
    They received it on 27th
    Charged me the fee on 28th
    Received an email on Monday that they sent me a parcel. They didn't mention the decision and after I called them they still couldn't tell me which was quite frustrating.
    I Got the passport in hand yesterday and the prv was issued from the 6th

Never had any contact with CO.
    Next stop is citizenship in 3 years hopefully.

Don't believe when people say that prv is a difficult process.

This is very helpful for when I'm eligible to apply (which is still a long time away). Thank you !

No worries. Apart from the lack of communication about the decision, it's a pretty stress-free process.

Hi Aron

How many days before can applicant apply for prv for current RV holder

You have to have held Residence for two years before you can apply for PR. That is two years since the visa was activated by arrival in NZ, if it was granted while you were overseas. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident
    If you were the principal applicant of the original residence application, you can obtain a Permanent Resident Visa if you:

have held your resident visa for at least two years, and
    have met any conditions of your Resident Visa, and
    have shown a commitment to New Zealand in one of the five ways that meet our requirements.
    (my bolding)

Hi Thanks for sharing this.
    Could you please let me know if the application was done online? or paper based? applied in person?
    Did you submit any supporting documents? or INZ would refer to their systems for the evidences?

If you are using the first criterion, time spent in New Zealand, as your proof of commitment to NZ, INZ don't need anything from you, because any times you have entered or left the country are automatically recorded when your passport is scanned at the airport.

Thanks Jandm!

I wanted to know if PRV will be approved in the below example:

A family moves to NZ on RV, and all of them spent 184 days or more in New Zealand as a resident in each of the two 12 month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding your application for permanent residence. He(main applicant) does not work in NZ for these 2 years period as he has lot of money

He wants to take off from work for these 2 years.
    He may telecommute for his previous employer established outside NZ.
    He may or may not have New Zealand tax residence status.

He has no special conditions on his RV visa label. His partner ( non principal applicant) works in NZ full time for these 2 years.

As per https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ZL&applying=co
    the above example satisfies one of the five ways you can show INZ your commitment to living in New Zealand permanently.

INZ says "We need to see evidence of at least one of them."

So, is he still eligible for PRV as he simply lives in NZ? Is the "at least one of them" is still acceptable?

Do most people applying for PRV provide "more than one evidence of commitment to NZ" ?

Also, https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa has a "CHECK CRITERIA" function to search by nationality/country.
    Does it mean that, specific country has special conditions for PRV ? If any, do these conditions change often?

( Sorry about too many questions, could not find a way to break it down into multiple posts.)

So, is he still eligible for PRV as he simply lives in NZ? Is the "at least one of them" is still acceptable?

Do most people applying for PRV provide "more than one evidence of commitment to NZ" ?
    Yes, yes, and no.

The Check Criteria button, with its requirement to enter your nationality, appears on just about all INZ pages giving information about visas, regardless of whether or not there is difference for that particular visa about where you come from - I suppose it's a lazy bit of programming. For the Permanent Residence visa, there is no difference. Look at the link I gave you in post #5 above, which has a clear explanation of exactly what is necessary when you look at the slider about proving commitment.

One more thing to notice - the character requirement for Permanent Residence is the same as for Residence. A5.20 and A5.25 here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsm....htm?35052.htm This has caused problems for some people who have gathered a conviction for DUI while in NZ, or broken the traffic laws several times so the police could not deal with them at the roadside and they had to be summonsed to court - traffic violations CAN attract a long enough sentence to break the character requirement, so, although the matter can be appealed, a resident CAN be served with notice to leave the country, and at least can be refused PR until enough time has passed that they can have shown a change of character.

Thank you JandM for making it very clear, and the note regarding character requirement

In fact I have seen many DUI cases and their pain on this forum, and been very cautious not to do DUI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast