Thread: Handing in Notice

Default Handing in Notice

I am leaving NZ on the 1st of August. I need to provide 3 months notice in my job. I will have 10 days leave built up by the time I leave. I start my new job abroad on the 13th of August. I want to use my 10 days leave as the last 10 days of my work, (30th July to 10th August) with the 10th August being my last official day. Am I allowed to do this or is this at the employers discretion? It has a big impact on when I hand in my notice as if they refuse this I would have to work up to the 10th to work out my 3 months notice. The time is coming close for me to hand in my notice if I have to end it on the 27th July.

This isn't an immigration matter, but depends on NZ employment law. You might find something useful here https://www.employment.govt.nz/ending-employment/ (and see the Leave and Holidays tab). Or you could contact the Citizens' Advice Bureau http://www.cab.org.nz/Pages/home.aspx who will give you free advice, and have a lot of experience.

I did not think every question on here had to be immigration related, I see plenty that are general enquries. I have looked on those website but I am looking for some personal experience from people who have either done something similar or are themselves an employer.

My last post wasn't a criticism. There MAY be people reading this thread who have been through something similar, but in the meantime, since your time is short, I thought it might be helpful to refer to the experts on employment law, who may be able to tell you an answer without delay.