Thread: Anyone granted a medical waiver with HIV?

Default Anyone granted a medical waiver with HIV?

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I'm an HIV+ foreign national looking to immigrate to NZ, considering applying for a medical waiver.

As far as I know, and I've heard this from a known HIV organization in NZ (Body Positive) that some HIV+ partners of NZ citizens/permanent residents have been granted medical waivers recently. The person of that organization even said that if you have a NZ citizen/permanent resident as your partner, a medical waiver is almost "automatically" granted.

1. Is this true? I looked up the policy (the URL below) and it does say "a medical waiver will be granted" to applicants who are partners of NZ citizens.
    Anyone who was (is) in this situation?

2. I do not have a NZ citizen partner, but I DO have a NZ citizen sister. Anyone who was (is) in this situation?

Anyone who was (is) in these situations, or who knows someone who was (is), please help!

You didn't in the end include any URL in your post.

Looking here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsm....htm?35154.htm, you'll see that HIV is one of the conditions considered a 'no'. However, here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsm....htm?35154.htm is the page about medical waivers, and indeed, waivers can be given to someone applying under the family stream. But these days, there is no route for anyone in NZ to sponsor in their adult sibling, so this would only apply to the partner or child of a resident or citizen.

Those links are to the INZ operational manual, which is the official summary of all the regulations, so can be relied upon.