Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is possible to transfer NZ PR Visa from one Passport to a Passport of a different country

Default Is possible to transfer NZ PR Visa from one Passport to a Passport of a different country

Hi everyone,

I am a NZ permanent resident and I have my permanent visa in a UK passport. I now live in Ireland and have gained an Irish Passport pretty much because of the uncertainty of Brexit.

My British Passport is due to run out soon but my Irish Passport is pretty much brand new. So I was wondering is it possible for me to transfer my NZ permanent residence visa from my UK to my Irish Passport so I don’t constantly have to renew two passports?

If I don’t renew my UK Passport can that affect my NZ PR visa or will I be able to renew it when I need to?

Many thanks

I think you need to ask INZ this specific question, and you may well find that the telephone answerers can't tell you, but need to refer you to a supervisor, because the website doesn't mention that scenario. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a-new-passport

Your NZ PR visa is for you, because of your situation, not bound to holding one particular passport, though your visa will be recorded against that passport's number, and, as it says on that web-page, when you have a new passport, you need to let INZ know, and get the visa transferred. Once granted NZ PR, it's normally yours for life - it takes a really serious crime to make the Minister annul a visa.

Thanks for you reply. You are right. I trawled through the website and I could find no mention of my case. I will have to contact them.

If I do find out that it is indeed connected to only my UK passport and I do not renew it and get a new visa added, is it fine for me to wait a period of time, for example 10 years, until I get it transferred to a new UK passport? Does this cause any issue by not having the PR visa in an active passport for a period of time?

The main issue is I really don't have the money for a new UK passport and to get the NZ PR visa added.

PR is a *right*, to live and work in New Zealand. If any NZ authority needs to know your status, inside the country, they can check it with INZ - that right is on record with INZ in their computer system. The only time anyone needs to see the visa in a passport is if you have been outside New Zealand and are wanting to travel back in - in that case, no airline would allow you to board an inbound flight without seeing a valid passport containing a valid visa giving you right of entry, and then you would have to present your passport to Immigration at the airport of arrival in NZ. So if you aren't intending to travel outside New Zealand, you don't need to have your PR visa in a valid passport. If you may need to travel, you do have to.

But do ask INZ, and if necessary, argue your case. You're still the same person who was recognized as having the right to PR, and the fact that you happen to have two citizenships doesn't alter that fact. Let us know how you get on.

I wonder too if you declared your Irish citizenship in your residence application, and /or provided and Irish police certificate?

I didn't declared my Irish citizenship in my residence application as I was not an Irish citizen then. I have only became an Irish citizen recently.
    I also never lived in Ireland prior to my residence application, I got my citizen through my grandparents.
    Last edited by zambrotta11; 20th April 2018 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zambrotta11 View Post
    I didn't declared my Irish citizenship in my residence application as I was not an Irish citizen then. I have only became an Irish citizen recently.
    I also never lived in Ireland prior to my residence application, I got my citizen through my grandparents.
    Ok then you may need to explain all of that to INZ. That said, as Jan M says , its you who have NZ PR, not the passport itself, so all that INZ will need to be assured of is that both passports are for the same person. I expect this will become more common as Brexit progresses.

I know this thread is old but I only got around to contacting INZ now.
    They said the procedure for transferring a permanent resident visa from one passport nationality to another is the same as transferring it from an old to a new passport.
    They also told me to bear in mind once I transfer the visa to my Irish passport I will not be able to use my UK passport to travel to NZ as a permanent resident because you are only allowed to hold one visa.

I haven't went through the process yet but from this information it sounds like it should be straight forward.

Thanks for the update.

This is very good information to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast