Thread: Where to start

Red face Where to start

Hi there

I am very new and still trying to find my way on the forum. I have read a couple of threads and must say I feel overwhelmed by all the information.

We are thinking of using a LIA i.e. Sharon & Ian Yerman but after reading that almost everybody went the DIY route. I kinda feel stupid not doing it myself lol.

How do you know which visa to apply for? Cannot apply for a work visa because you need a work offer, so do you start of by applying for a visitor's visa and go over to NZ to get a job and then apply for your work visa?

Would appreciate some direction pleaseeee.

Much appreciated
    Loe

PS: Thanks to admin for the pm still figuring the forum out and couldnt find how to reply.

(I could PM you because I'm the admin. You can't send PMs or receive them from other forum members until after you have made five posts altogether on any open threads.)

I'll be back a bit later to give you some pointers - I've found this when I'm about to have a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Loeperfectlife View Post
    Hi there

I am very new and still trying to find my way on the forum. I have read a couple of threads and must say I feel overwhelmed by all the information.

We are thinking of using a LIA i.e. Sharon & Ian Yerman but after reading that almost everybody went the DIY route. I kinda feel stupid not doing it myself lol.

How do you know which visa to apply for? Cannot apply for a work visa because you need a work offer, so do you start of by applying for a visitor's visa and go over to NZ to get a job and then apply for your work visa?

Would appreciate some direction pleaseeee.

Much appreciated
    Loe

PS: Thanks to admin for the pm still figuring the forum out and couldnt find how to reply.
    PM me once youve made 5 posts and Ill see if i cant get you on the right track.

Depending on your qualifications and work experience, you may have several options.

Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category. See here for the criteria. You need to be able to get 160 points (without any job offer) to be selected. Then the evidence (click the EVIDENCE button to see what is required) will be verified. If everything checks out, you will be granted the SMC Job Search Visa (deferred residence, that is, residence that is waiting for you to get that skilled job), which gives the main applicant the right to go to NZ and stay for up to 12 months in order to find a job. As soon as a skilled job is offered, s/he can go to INZ with the offer and contract, and the residence visa will be granted to all those on the original application. The full detail of the requirements and regulations can be seen here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsm...c.htm?6954.htm

Then there are the various kinds of temporary work visa, all of which require a job to have been offered. You could go to NZ as a visitor, giving your reason as "look, see and decide", which would give you the chance to job hunt. Rarely, people (usually with a niche skill) have applied from outside the country and been offered a job, but that IS rare.

See here for one common kind of temporary work visa, Essential Skills. See the CRITERIA tab for the requirements. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ills-work-visa

If your career is on the Long Term Skill Shortage List, and you meet the requirements (see CRITERIA), you can apply for a Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...list-work-visa, which can lead directly on to residence after working in the job for two years.

If the employer is accredited and you meet the requirements (see CRITERIA), you can apply for a Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa, which again can allow you to apply for residence after two years.

Here's hoping that has shown you some places where you can start reading in the mass of possible information. Give yourself time to take it all in - there is a huge amount to digest.

Wow, thank you all soo very much!!

Thank you very much - will do that!